Help on V build wood choice

Mahogany or alder body.

Maple neck, Warmoth Pro construction.

Ebony fretboard, although I actually prefer Pau Ferro, but some might not think it looks metal enough... (Kingwood is nice too.)

25.5 scale (especially if he's going to do any drop tuning.)

As far as I'm concerned you can never be too bright - you can always attenuate but can never regain what's not there to begin with.

Death by Uberschall said:
Mahogany/Mahogany (warm and full for modern metal, think Les Paul tone) or Korina/Korina (full midrange tone) with Ebony board, EMG 81/85 pups. Your son will love it so much he might even cut the grass, weed the beds and paint the house without being asked!!!  :headbang1:

He has to cut the grass as his part of the deal. And wash my car  :eek:ccasion14: PRIOR to us building this. I ain't no fool.
I used to be a lazy no good guitar playing kid myself  :laughing7:  :party07:

I was thinking maple/ebony and alder or swamp ash originally, but I was worried that the smaller body might tend to not work with a really bright neck, being too brittle sounding.
I have a mahogony/mahogany Les Paul type with an ebony fretboard and ss frets that is very crisp and clean, yet still quite full sounding.

I always like the LONNIE MACK FLYING V with the Bixby on it.....

But yes, V's are cool. I played one in 1974 and I'm still kicking myself over not buying that one.

vic108 said:
I always like the LONNIE MACK FLYING V with the Bixby on it.....

But yes, V's are cool. I played one in 1974 and I'm still kicking myself over not buying that one.
I dunno if it's just poor observation on my behalf or not, but some of the rockier Gibson - Humbucker tones seem to come from either the V's or the Explorers. For that reason alone I wouldn't mind a Korina V.

Like you, vic, I played one ages ago, but the thing that really stumped me was how to play the darned thing sitting down - you can't! :eek:

I think most V's now have a ripple strip on the side of the lower V panel so the guitar doesn't slide right off your lap, but it still can easily slip off if you move too much.

As an owner and fan of V guitars, Mahogany, Mahogany, with an Ebony fretboard is my vote.
It's cheaper than Korina I think and will give a nice full sound. Really durable too!

Alder is good...with a Maple neck and Rosewood is a nice combo too, especially if he's gonna be low tuning. Seems to stay a bit clearer on the lower quick single note stuff.

I'm sure that great sounds can come from either combo.

The Lawrence L500 is a great bridge pickup, it's typical mate is a '59 in the neck, but come folks put it in both positions, although I don't like the Lawrence sound in the neck. Like a prev post said, Just a single bridge pup is pretty metal though!

Back