Help me build a guitar?

ghotiphry

So, while I got into the bass, my daughter has got into the acoustic guitar.  She's doing well.  I was just making conversation recently with her, talking about my little hobby of bass building.  I said well, let me know when you're ready, I will see what we can do for a guitar for you.  She said, really Dad, you hafta ask me that?  I said, really, that's something you'd want?  She looked at me strangely and said "Duh, YES."

I'm thinking Christmas.

I don't know diddly squat about the guitar side.  I've done lots of research about basses.  How about it.  Want to help me spec out a guitar for my daughter?

Would a strat be a good choice for her?  Just paging through the Warmoth site I found this.  Blue is her favorite color.  It's 4 lb 2 oz, which I figure isn't too terribly heavy.
t5Qj37Y.jpg

My first thoughts are to pair it with a roasted maple neck, something like this.
J80BeeB.jpg

Give me your thought, please!  I don't even know if I'm on the right path.  First off, is a Strat with tremolo too much for a beginner?

Then there's all the other stuff.  Fret choice.  Tuning machines.  Pickups.  Electronics.  Bridge/tremolo.  Strings, even.  I'm going to start diving in, but I'm hoping for some good first guitar advice.

I should mention, she does have fairly small hands, or she thinks she does, anyway

Love the body.

I would recommend a Gibson scale (24.75") and a 1 5/8" nut width. I find that very comfortable.

There is a lot to be said for a raw, burnished neck. Feels smooth and never sticky like some finished necks I've tried can. Not that a finished neck bothers me, because I have rather dry hands, but now that I own a raw neck, it feels much smoother and faster. Smoother and faster than my hands can fully utilize right now.

A roasted maple neck would look great with that Lake Placid blue body. Personally, I think the Warhead neck looks better than any standard Strat headstock.

You might want to look at the Musiclander or Velocity bodies. I believe they are a tad smaller than a standard Strat type body.

Looking forward to the build!

Interesting.  I'm doing some reading on the Gibson scale neck. I'm finding some information that the saddle needs to be moved if you do that for correct intonation.  I'm questioning my abilities.  I do like the 1 5/8" nut width suggestion.

I'm not a big fan of the Velocity or Musiclander shapes.  Maybe a Telecaster isn't out of the question?  Removes the tremolo from the equation.

KF50AGE.jpg

GwauTZo.jpg

Having played a couple raw necks, there's really no question for me: that's the way to play a guitar.

I'd go with the Strat body since it comes with contours built in.  You can get a Tele with contours, but I think then you have to go to the more expensive custom build section of Warmoth.  Strat bodies are just more comfortable to play.  You can just forgo the tremolo and get a hardtail Strat, but what fun is a guitar with no whammy bar?  I've got a lot of Strats with the Gibson scale neck.  I didn't have to do anything different.

A great project on your part. I would recommend a strat for several reasons. With the contours it is extremely comfortable and weight wise it should be fine for a younger person. Where I live I see many young people who come in to take lessons where I buy strings and often I see a strat. Strats are also VERY versatile guitars and as she develops her playing interests she can adapt a strat to just about anything. You can choose from an array of quality noiseless single coil pickups and provide her with a solid instrument. Others here could recommend something pickup wise.

I often play the neck pickup and a bit on the bridge when I want to have a more spicy, cutting sound. I use the middle pickup for what I describe as a general purpose electric guitar sound. I am not a big 2 and 4 switch position guy but many people are. 2 and 4 are sometimes used to mimic sort off an acoustic guitar feel. This is just an example of how I visualize the usefulness of the strat.

Although a Gibson scale has been suggested and I can see the reasoning for that I think the standard 25 1/5 inch scale is fine and less headache for you to work with. For my purposes I think of the Gibson scale as maybe a little easier to bend strings but not the world's hugest difference and I notice I have to lighten up my own touch on a Gibson. Not that I mangle my strats by any means. I prefer the slightly greater string tension in the Fender scale and it hasn't stopped kids I see with strats. Depending on her age you could order a 1 5/8 inch nut width Standard Thin neck and that should be very comfortable. I think roasted maple with any color of body is fantastic and its a great neck without a finish.

Don't rule out a hardtail bridge/bridge route on the body unless she really wants the tremolo. You may need a tech's help with a trem bridge set up that but it would not be the end of the world.

And I contend that if a strat sounds "thin" its being played too timidly. They are very responsive to picking dynamics, which is one of the reasons I turned into a single coil pickup user.

You are on the right track though.

ghotiphry said:
Interesting.  I'm doing some reading on the Gibson scale neck. I'm finding some information that the saddle needs to be moved if you do that for correct intonation.  I'm questioning my abilities.  I do like the 1 5/8" nut width suggestion.

If you buy a Warmoth neck the shorter scale will work with a Warmoth or Fender body with no adjustment. All the compensation is done in the fret placement. You will need to adjust the saddles a bit to insure proper intonation, but that's the case regardless of neck or body.

It's been my personal experience that the shorter Gibson scale is easier for me to play at the lower frets. They are ever so slightly closer together enough to make a difference to my playing.

Or go the way I did (l have smaller hands and have finally realized that a shorter scale is perfect) and get a 7/8 Strat with a Mustang neck.
Should be perfect for a younger female.

Build thread: http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=26481.0

Thread with sound clip: http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=26688.0

Thank you.  She's a teen, so her hands aren't childish small.  She just thinks they are.  I tend to agree with the 25-1/2" scale.  Although, I'll have to look at the Mustang necks.

Here's what I'm thinking so far.

Gotoh Wilkinson flush mounted tremolo bridge VS100 purchased from Warmoth, with Warmoth installing the studs. I didn't rule out a hard tail, but Wizard is right, a whammy is just fun.

Schaller mini locking tuners, although I'm a bit confused by the hole sizes.  I also saw that Fender does a locking tuner set, also confused by hole sizes.  Locking tuners seem to be, in my limited research, preferred.  I'm also confused as to who offers staggered tuners, it seems that Warmoth does not.

Seymour Duncan classic stack plus noiseless pickups.  I admit it, I'm a fan of noiseless pups.

I'm in process of trying to figure out the wiring, and whether to go with a standard prewired harness (like from StewMac) or something funkier.  I did Audere preamp systems for my basses, love them, would love to find something similar.  Just not finding it yet.  I hate, hate soldering wires to the back of pots.  I've done it, but it just seems there's a better way.

Logrinn said:
Or go the way I did (l have smaller hands and have finally realized that a shorter scale is perfect) and get a 7/8 Strat with a Mustang neck.
Should be perfect for a younger female.

Build thread: http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=26481.0

Thread with sound clip: http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=26688.0
Dang it, now you got me rethinking things.  :icon_biggrin:

You mean to tell me I can do something like this 7/8 Strat body at 3 lb 12 oz
wMdBoyc.jpg

With this Mustang neck
hw9jZNC.jpg

And it all goes together nice and tidy-like?

Glad to be of help.
It only took me 40+ years to realize the importance of the scale length  :doh:

Sperzel has staggered locking tuners that work great.  DiMarzio sells a pre-wired, ready to screw in pickguard of it's Area pickup set (they're noiseless).  Lace sensors also come in pre-wired noiseless pickguards, and I'm sure there are more out there. I know a lot of people on this site love the Dimarzio Areas.

ghotiphry said:
You mean to tell me I can do something like this 7/8 Strat body at 3 lb 12 oz
wMdBoyc.jpg

With this Mustang neck
hw9jZNC.jpg

And it all goes together nice and tidy-like?

Yep.
Mine was a custom ordered 7/8 S body (I wanted the transparent blue and universal pickup route) and a Mustang roasted maple neck from Warmoth's in stock necks.
Hardtail bridge (am. std flat mount), Gotoh staggered, locking tuners. All fit perfectly and came together without any problems.

Wizard of Wailing said:
    Sperzel has staggered locking tuners that work great.  DiMarzio sells a pre-wired, ready to screw in pickguard of it's Area pickup set (they're noiseless).  Lace sensors also come in pre-wired noiseless pickguards, and I'm sure there are more out there. I know a lot of people on this site love the Dimarzio Areas.

That DiMarzio looks like a tasty option to me.  I'm also liking the Sperzel option.

I got staggered tuners from Stew Mac for not that much more than Warmoth charges for non staggered. Locking are helpful and make string changing quicker. Scale wise, it might not be a bad idea to take your daughter to a shop and ask her to try a Gibson and a Fender unless you intend to make this a total surprise. Not the end of the world. I've never had an issue or complaint with 25.5 so I tend to advocate for it. The bridge you mentioned sounds great. As for the 7/8 question is she that petite? I regularly see 14 or 15 year old girls playing regular sized strats no problem.

musicispeace said:
... As for the 7/8 question is she that petite? ...
The 7/8 size is on the other hand not that much smaller:
[youtube]hF5IN4YjARg[/youtube]

Aw man, I wish you were my father.  :( But yeah, I think a strat would go pretty well for her. Maybe get it universally routed so incase her music tastes changes in the years she can swap in twin humbuckers? Also, I reckon the same idea as Logrinn, 7/8 would be pretty good I think with the 24" scale length.

Unless you plan getting or building her more guitars her first electric would be important because she will learn to play on this guitar and she will get accustomed on certain features. For example, I learned to play on the super easy Gibson SG and 25+ years later I still can't cope with the traditional volume placement of the strat. Unless you plan to surprise her I suggest you include her in the process of choosing and assembling the guitar. Even if you plan surprising her you can ask her opinion without revealing your intention. Both of you will learn more of her preferences if you visit guitar shops and she tries different guitars. Point to her the differences (contours, bridges, scales etc) and ask her what she prefers. Not all people prefer the obvious...I don't mind the contours but the LP & tele bodies feel better to me.

I have seen women with long fingers, if your daughter does not have short fingers I find the 1-5/8'' not comfortable and that's based on my experience. I tried once a strat with 1-5/8'' nut size before I bought my first electric (I had been playing classical, probably 1-3/4'') and I was struggling with barre chords. Then I learned on the 1-11/16'' (SG) and I don't like anything less than it. Radius is important, it would be good for her to try the extremes (vintage RI Fender and some modern Carvin/Ibanez with flat radius) to understand the difference. Also, don't assume because it's a girl standard thin would be ideal. Some acoustics have thicker neck profiles so it would be good to see if she likes the neck of her guitar and what she will like in the shop trying other models.

Don't go with Sperzel's. The locking part is stiff and thin, does not feel good on hand. Maybe it would be hard for her to change strings. Gotoh & Hipshot would be my choices. I have two different Gotoh models (on my telecasters) and I prefer them to the Sperzels (on my strat).

4lb 2oz is good medium, I have two bodies with the exact weight. A little less is even better. I don't suggest anemic, around 3lb 10oz (or a little less) is ideal for me.

Finally...A Doug's plate will highlight the custom touch on a custom build!

:headbang5

There's some really great information here, fellas.  Thank you so much.

I went home yesterday and started to talk with here about a couple things, options, choices, etc.  Much to my disappointment I was kinda shut down.  I wasn't planning to completely surprise her with it, just partially.  Maybe she just didn't think I was that serious about it.  My daughter wants to continue on the acoustic for a while, just to make sure she has the "stay with it" power for guitar playing.  My wife I think was more concerned with funding.  I figure hey, this is something special.  Learn how to make some music.

So at least for now, I've got to table this notion of mine.  I'm very sad.  I've learned a good deal from this in the short planning time I've put into this.  Enough to maybe :)help:) want one for myself, just not in blue.  I know I'm a bass guy at heart, but I wonder where my stones would take me, ifyouknowwhatimean.

There's enough votes for the 7/8 Strat, and enough votes for the standard size that I would want to know her preferences before pulling the trigger.  I'm also not sure at this early stage she would even know what her preferences would be.  Not to mention neck preference, which I agree can affect things more than the body scale.  So maybe she's right, a little more playing time first.

So, with a heavy heart I bookmark this page.

Back