Headstock paint

fruityguitar

Hi im trying to put in custom order for my new neck and ran into a problem which im not fully understand.

so im trying to get front surface of headstock paint to match with body color and leave the side and the rest but when i call warmoth staffs they insist that they couldn't do it without the whole neck finish because the headstock paint will break off if they not apply any finish on it first, which i understand so i asked them if i can get only front surface of the headstock finish just to get paint over it but they still insist that whole neck gotta get finish in order to paint just the front of headstock, what i dont understand is since i only need the front surface of the headstock to be paint why do i have to get the whole neck finish? why cant i just get a finish only the front part that i wanted it to match with body, its roasted flame maple neck so i dont prefer any finish on it but i also want that front surface of head stock to match with body color. why do they have to apply finish to whole neck? and whats my options here. Thanks ??? ???

My guess is that it is a warranty issue for them. I frequently finish the face of the head stock only on roasted necks. Usually to bury a decal and then feather the edge of the lacquer film to the raw wood. Never had an issue but I can see how it might present a chip point and they use a completely different finish that may be more prone to edge flaking. Bummer. 

I've found it matters greatly when you make your off the menu request.  If they're super busy (like now), they're more likely to say no.  Look up "opportunity cost".

Wolfie351 said:
I've found it matters greatly when you make your off the menu request.  If they're super busy (like now), they're more likely to say no.  Look up "opportunity cost".

In this case the answer is always going to be "no".

We will no longer offer painted headstocks unless the neck is completely finished on front, back, and sides. Too many flaking issues, and necks that had to be reshot multiple times.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

I’ve showed this before and said this when this question came up before:

Well, in the case of roasted maple necks they do suggest strongly that the whole neck should be finished as well due to risk of the neck getting uneven exposure to humidity (my explanation, not theirs).
I ordered a Jaguar neck in roasted maple with a painted headstock and agreed to it being finished with the clear satin finish.
Feels and looks great IMO.

fb0.jpg_m.jpg

380.jpg_m.jpg

So you can get a painted headstock. And if you don’t like the satin finish on the neck you can of course get to work with some sandpaper. But I wouldn’t bother because it already feels great.

And as had been discussed already - it’s now more protected against changes in humidity and so on.

Back