Having the pro's double check my wiring plan

Slanderous

I've never wired a guitar up before but I've been reading alot of info and what I'm trying to do isnt probably that complex.   2 humbuckers and I want both to be coil tappable, 2 volumes(tappable pots) and 1 tone pot.

I am getting or have :

2-  4 conductor humbuckers

2- 500k tappable pots

1- 500k pot for tone

1- 30w soldering iron

1- roll of 60/40 solder

1- .047 capacitor

1-input jack

Now my question is what am I missing and would anyone have a good diagram for this set up?  I keep seeing grounding wires in diagrams but im not sure what they are exactly. Thanks in advance.

Edit: my own stupidity I have a 3 way switch.Forgot to mention it.

You probably also want a switch and some wire.

There are tons of diagrams at Seymour Duncan's site.

Grounding is important and not to be overlooked - stew mac has a nice site that explains wiring really clearly. http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-4000.html
Your plan isn't too outlandish, here's a diagram for use with a strat-style switch:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3L21_02/Guitar_Wiring_Diagram_2_Humbuckers3Way_Lever_Switch2_Volumes1_ToneIndividual_Coil_Taps.html
This one has the Gibson toggle switch:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3T21_02/Guitar_Wiring_Diagram_2_Humbuckers3Way_Lever_Switch2_Volumes1_ToneIndividual_Coil_Taps.html

No pickup selector switch?

By "tappable pots", i would assume that you are refering to push/pull pots being configured to tap the pickups?

I can draw you a diagram if you are unable to find what your looking for on the internet.

tfarny said:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3L21_02/Guitar_Wiring_Diagram_2_Humbuckers3Way_Lever_Switch2_Volumes1_ToneIndividual_Coil_Taps.html

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3T21_02/Guitar_Wiring_Diagram_2_Humbuckers3Way_Lever_Switch2_Volumes1_ToneIndividual_Coil_Taps.html

FWIW, those are coil splits not coil taps.
(sigh) I can't believe that professional diagrams would have the terms mixed up.

line6man said:
No pickup selector switch?

By "tappable pots", i would assume that you are refering to push/pull pots being configured to tap the pickups?

I can draw you a diagram if you are unable to find what your looking for on the internet.

Yes, your correct. 2 x 500k push/pull pots purchased from the warmoth site.

tfarny said:
No switch is also doable - that's just Jbass wiring plus the two coil taps.

But the tone will be darker without the switch. That may or may not be desirable depending on tonal preferences.

Coil SPLITS!
Am i the only guy that knows the difference?

mayfly said:
dbw said:
Those are push-push :(

Had  bad experience with these pots did we?

I don't trust those push/push pots.
They are a lot more convenient if you have knobs that are tough to grip, (like Strat knobs) but they just seem too cheap.

Found the exact diagram I needed on the seymour duncan site as suggested as well as the others linked. Just curious about the ground wires business.  

Slanderous said:
line6man said:
mayfly said:
dbw said:

They are a lot more convenient if you have knobs that are tough to grip, (like Strat knobs) but they just seem too cheap.

Ah what about them seems untrustworthy?

For one, the pot breaks if you pull it up, thinking it's a push/pull.
The push button just feels really cheap to me, like it won't last very long.
A good push/pull pot has a sturdier feeling.

line6man said:
Slanderous said:
line6man said:
mayfly said:
dbw said:

Ah I see, what brnad is a better make?

line6man said:
Coil SPLITS!

We know but don't care.  There's no such thing as a coil TAPPED humbucker in the technical sense of the word as far as I know.  So when we say tapped referring to a humbucker it's safe to assume we mean split, and vice-versa for single coils.  All right?  Just relax.  RELAX!!!  :icon_biggrin:

I just swapped out the bridge pup of my jackson, first time ever did it myself and it was fairly simple.  I'm just wondering about these black grounding wires and what wire iuse to wirre the guitar that doesnt come with the pups?

Slanderous said:
line6man said:
Slanderous said:
line6man said:
mayfly said:
dbw said:

Ah I see, what brnad is a better make?

I use Allparts push/pulls, and i am pretty happy with them.

dbw said:
line6man said:
Coil SPLITS!

We know but don't care.  There's no such thing as a coil TAPPED humbucker in the technical sense of the word as far as I know.  So when we say tapped referring to a humbucker it's safe to assume we mean split, and vice-versa for single coils.  All right?  Just relax.  RELAX!!!   :icon_biggrin:

The purpose of this forum is to provide helpful information to educate people on various guitar related things.
When you don't get the nomenclature right, even if people know what you mean, it makes things inaccurate and confusing.
Even if no one cares, i prefer to keep things accurate.

line6man said:
dbw said:
line6man said:
Coil SPLITS!

We know but don't care.  There's no such thing as a coil TAPPED humbucker in the technical sense of the word as far as I know.  So when we say tapped referring to a humbucker it's safe to assume we mean split, and vice-versa for single coils.  All right?  Just relax.  RELAX!!!   :icon_biggrin:

The purpose of this forum is to provide helpful information to educate people on various guitar related things.
When you don't get the nomenclature right, even if people know what you mean, it makes things inaccurate and confusing.
Even if no one cares, i prefer to keep things accurate.

Whats the difference between a coil tap and a coil split?

Back