Having the pro's double check my wiring plan

Slanderous said:
line6man said:
dbw said:
line6man said:
Coil SPLITS!
Am i the only guy that knows the difference?

We know but don't care.  There's no such thing as a coil TAPPED humbucker in the technical sense of the word as far as I know.  So when we say tapped referring to a humbucker it's safe to assume we mean split, and vice-versa for single coils.  All right?  Just relax.  RELAX!!!   :icon_biggrin:

The purpose of this forum is to provide helpful information to educate people on various guitar related things.
When you don't get the nomenclature right, even if people know what you mean, it makes things inaccurate and confusing.
Even if no one cares, i prefer to keep things accurate.

Whats the difference between a coil tap and a coil split?

Coil splitting is taking a humbucker and switching the coil configuration from series/parallel to single coil mode.
Coil tapping is using only a portion of the full coil, when you have a pickup that was wound with a coil tap.
http://www.curtisnovak.com/pickups/repairs/P-90Tap/index.shtml

line6man said:
Slanderous said:
line6man said:
dbw said:
line6man said:
Coil SPLITS!

We know but don't care.  There's no such thing as a coil TAPPED humbucker in the technical sense of the word as far as I know.  So when we say tapped referring to a humbucker it's safe to assume we mean split, and vice-versa for single coils.  All right?  Just relax.  RELAX!!!   :icon_biggrin:

The purpose of this forum is to provide helpful information to educate people on various guitar related things.
When you don't get the nomenclature right, even if people know what you mean, it makes things inaccurate and confusing.

Coil splitting is taking a humbucker and switching the coil configuration from series/parallel to single coil mode.
Coil tapping is using only a portion of the full coil, when you have a pickup that was wound with a coil tap.

Ah I see so if a pickup runs in true single coil it's a coil tap.   Is there anyway to know if a pickup is or not because many pickup brands use the term coil tap loosely?

Slanderous said:
line6man said:
Slanderous said:
line6man said:
dbw said:
line6man said:
Coil SPLITS!

Ah I see so if a pickup runs in true single coil it's a coil tap.   Is there anyway to know if a pickup is or not because many pickup brands use the termcoil tap loosely?

Not neccesarily, because you could tap a humbucker too, but it's not as common.
Very few mass-produced pickups are tapped. Most of the time you are dealing with coil splitting.
Like dbw said, everyone pretty much knows that coil tapping is incorrectly used to refer to coil splitting, but i like to keep things straight.

line6man said:
Slanderous said:
line6man said:
Slanderous said:
line6man said:
dbw said:
line6man said:
Coil SPLITS!

Ah I see so if a pickup runs in true single coil it's a coil tap.   Is there anyway to know if a pickup is or not because many pickup brands use the termcoil tap loosely?

Not neccesarily, because you could tap a humbucker too, but it's not as common.
Very few mass-produced pickups are tapped. Most of the time you are dealing with coil splitting.
Like dbw said, everyone pretty much knows that coil tapping is incorrectly used to refer to coil splitting, but i like to keep things straight.

Ah I understand.  Is there a tonal difference between the two?

Yeah a tap usually just gives you a low-output mode on a single coil.

A split lets you do all sorts of tricks with a humbucker, but you already know about that.

This is like complaining that a tremolo bridge should be actually called a vibrato bridge, and the 'vibrato' effect on old Fender amps is actually a tremolo effect. Nobody who cares is confused, and the rest aren't listening. My 2c.

tfarny said:
This is like complaining that a tremolo bridge should be actually called a vibrato bridge, and the 'vibrato' effect on old Fender amps is actually a tremolo effect. Nobody who cares is confused, and the rest aren't listening. My 2c.

sorry - could you repeat that?  I wasn't listening...

:icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor:

Back