Have all we newbies seen these?

Tweed

While waiting for my body and neck today, I found this super-detailed series of Youtubes about Warmoth assembly and watched it all day.
I'm up to Part 25.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqLfllURlo8&feature=fvwrel[/youtube]

I remember watching these about a year ago. The guy is pretty good and super detailed. Sometimes to the point of over elaborating on the most minor and logical detail (maybe its just me)  :laughing7:

I saw some of this a while back on You Tube, agree, very detailed info...
I guess if you are doing one for the first time and don't wanna muck it up (raise hands those who have had to salvage a project from the grips of despair, yeah thought so. :laughing7:..) and don't have money to spend on repairs or buying replacement parts IF you do stuff up, then this is good help.

But then again, I ain't a newbie, I'm just a pretender. :icon_scratch:

I found these vids while waiting for the parts for my first build to arrive. Cool timing 'cause there were a couple of things I wasn't 100% on ... like lining up strap buttons ... so I just jumped through them to find the bits I needed. Definitley upped my confidence level before I started  :icon_thumright:

nexrex said:
I remember watching these about a year ago. The guy is pretty good and super detailed. Sometimes to the point of over elaborating on the most minor and logical detail (maybe its just me) 

No, it wasn't just you. I went through it about a year ago as well, and thought the same thing: these videos need some serious editing. But, to be fair, I've seen videos and books that cost real money that weren't nearly as good, so I cut the guy some slack. I mean, what's he gonna do, pour money into an editor and a studio to clean up a free YouTube video series? I don't think so. What he did was pretty generous to begin with.

Some of us have been putting guitars together & doing fretwork since before there was an internet, so it may seem overly-detailed and much of it common sense, but then when you tell people to rely on common sense, you sometimes end up with those horrible, butchered atrocities on Ebay - "And then I evened it up with some Bondo, you can fix this in no time I just have too many projects" etc. You'd figure people would build a birdhouse or something before they lay into $1500 worth of parts, but not all sense is common.

The ones you got to watch for are the nicely-written, well-packaged information that's just WRONG. There's a pictoral series out there about "how to set the action on your bass." It's got nice photos, well-written, nice fonts, a pretty yellow border but in the end he's telling you that bridges are set at the factory and the way to adjust action is with the truss rod... gaaah. :eek:

I thought it was great. There was indeed a lot of repetitious detail, but I figured if I were going to have someone build a Warmoth strat for me, it wouldn't hurt if he was that obsessive.

I've been playing guitar for a long, long time but only this year did it occur to me to explore assembling my own. I have not needed to do fret leveling and crowning but after watching those vids I know I could do it.

I believe he mentions early on that he's being paid to put this set together. He doesn't say who pays him but I notice he uses a lot of StewMac tools and supplies.

Never seen this before. Wish I had discovered it before I did my first build.....could have taken a lot of the guess work out of it.

yeh those are my vids

Just kidding, but good on him for doing them, better over explained than under explained , I watched em all, and thought the same as most of you, but still it's good.

Right. You can read all you want, but watching somebody do it is priceless.

Cagey said:
Right. You can read all you want, but watching somebody do it is priceless.

+1, and you know what, the more you see those little things that people spend time on just makes it set in your memory more. Then next time you go to put a guitar together, you wont forget to wax your screws, or centerpunch a hole you have to drill, or put some tape on before you drill, etc.

After seeing these vids last year or so,
I had him put together 2 of my guitars.
Very nice work he does! Highly recommended!!!

There's a lot to be said for the efficiency that somebody who does a lot of this work can achieve. For example, there is simply no substitute for slow, careful, one-end-at-a-time fretwork, except maybe now the Plek. But it's actually a bit weird to do a total leveling on a brand new neck, it's best to let it settle through a season change if you can. If you Plek'd a guitar after a few years that had been Plek'd new, it would find some things to do - so it's a little bit redundant. Now, I will do all my own fretwork the slow old-fashioned way because I hate to pay anyone to do what I can do as well, but there's no way in a small town I could charge enough to kick my pay above $15 an hour or so. And I'd rather play than work...  :toothy12: The premier guys in New York, Nashville, LA are getting up to $350 for their best level, crown and polish - the stuff that Paul Gilbert and John McLaughlin and Brad Paisley and John Petrucci get.

My point is, somebody with all the right tools and workroom can do a really good job for you, and I have paid for instruments like my electric mandolin that I probably could have built, but I just didn't have the time right then. It's ideal in the long run to know everything - I still think Warmoth ought to require each newbie to purchase Dan Erlewine's "Guitar Player Repair Guide", just to avoid those Ebay tragedies - but if you really don't have time to learn just yet and you want a perfect guitar, the good ones are out there. (So are the bad ones, alas.... :eek:)

The knowledge of how to make and set up a great guitar is now pretty widespread, so it's just a matter of details... kinda like making pickups, the information about how to make a great humbucking pickup and a great single coil has been around for a few decades now, there have got to be at least thirty people/companies who are making better and more consistent pickups than the very best of Gibson and Fender's "golden years" <-(BLASPHEMER!!!!) :evil4: - just don't tell George Gruhn that!

PaulXerxen (nexrex) said:
I remember watching these about a year ago. The guy is pretty good and super detailed. Sometimes to the point of over elaborating on the most minor and logical detail (maybe its just me)  :laughing7:

For a total neophyte like me, for him to expound on even the most minor of details is a godsend.

I watched that last year when I was researching my build. I think he really goes into detail a lot, sometimes I liked that other times I was like, "Come on guy get on with it." I think it is a good set of videos but like mentioned, some guys do not have as much common sense as others so him going so far is probably needed.

Found those videos around 3 weeks ago. They gave me the confidence to go finally ahead and order two bodies and a neck from the showcase  :)

Back