Has anybody tried installing a BOSS GK5-KIT-G6 MIDI guitar pickup?

kgk9000

I have Nomad that I need to put together, and I have some pickup questions for you.

BOSS has new MIDI pickups using TRS serial cables, where one can use them on a GM-800; this is their kit for permanent installation. This is the installation documentation. Has anybody tried to install one? Did you learn any lessons that you'd be able to share? :D

From what I can tell of the instructions, it has these controls:
* A 3-way switch ("GUITAR/MIX/GK) that controls what goes down to the GM-800.
* A momentary switch; it seems to send events down to its GM-800 controller, perhaps it can be used to trigger MIDI stuff, I'm not sure.
* GK volume, where I have a free knob hole to put this
* A LED indicator (that seems useless, I'll probably skip it).

It seems that I need two output jacks.

Next, I was going to drop in two Fishman Fluence Modern pickups. Unfortunately I ordered the body routed for pickup rings, and it doesn't seem that Fishman sells rings; where could I find them? I was actually interested in their Open Core Modern Humbucker because I think it might look cooler, but would it fit in a ring? Any thoughts? And it seems to come in ceramic or AlNiCo magnets; is there anything that makes more sense? (I usually play neoclassical metal stuff, but I don't really know.) I am guessing that I need to wire them like this because I'd only have two pots left given that the MIDI pickup would take one up. That would add two more toggle switches, so I'd have four of them, total. (I'd just put them in a row, but I'm not sure exactly where, yet.)

Any thoughts/advice? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8572.jpeg
    IMG_8572.jpeg
    948.1 KB · Views: 3
Firstly, the BOSS GK5-KIT-G6 is not a MIDI pickup. It is a Hex divided pickup used to communicate with Boss / Roland devices which are equipped with MIDI, but the pickup itself does not send or receive any MIDI.

This product has only just started becoming available, depending on where you are in the world. I may do one at some point, but not so far, and no one on this forum has reported doing so.

* A momentary switch; it seems to send events down to its GM-800 controller, perhaps it can be used to trigger MIDI stuff, I'm not sure.

That switch is for sending S1/S2 to the connected unit and can be used for various things such as switching up or down between presets. Consult the device's manual, such as the GM800 as well as the installation instructions for the GK5.

Fishman like other humbucker pickups will fit into normal rings suitable for your guitar.

Other thoughts if you are not sure what you are doing, get help from someone who does this type of thing. That is also what Boss says…

Boss Notes
Installing this product requires modifications to your guitar/bass. Ask a dealer such as a repair shop that specializes in modifying and installing guitar/bass parts to do this work. Note that any issues or accidents that may occur during installation, as well as repairs that may be required after installation are the customer’s responsibility, and Roland offers no guarantees and repairs in this regard.

Also, it might be worth checking VGuitarForums.

It is a Hex divided pickup
Right, it is basically six humbuckers—one under each string—that go to an analog MUX, then an analog-to-digital converter, and finally down the serial cable to the GM-800; it does pitch-to-MIDI, as you suggest.

I may do one at some point, but not so far, and no one on this forum has reported doing so.
Darn, it's bad that I'm the first, but hopefully it will work out OK.

For Fishman, what do you think about AlNiCo vs. ceramic? One of each, both of one kind, etc.?

On the Fishman, I don't have an opinion. It is a subjective choice. Though, if I were doing a guitar with the onboard Hex pickup and switches, I would tend towards having a more straightforward pickup selection for the magnetic pickups.

Darn, it's bad that I'm the first, but hopefully it will work out OK.

Take it one step at a time. Read, read again, measure twice etc. And post pics and update this thread.

Back