Hardtail for 7/8 strat, hipshot? Also what tuner do you guys like?

Looking at a build, I think my last decision has come down to choice of route for a bridge. having a hardtime deciding. I'd like to go with a hipshot even though they're getting pretty expensive.

https://hipshotproducts.com/collections/6-string-fixed-bridges/products/fixed-guitar-bridge

Do you think for my first build I should just go with something pretty standard/simple? I should mention that it's a 7/8 strat body with a Mustang 24" scale neck.

They say it's an extra charge to pick a route that's not on their list. I've tried to match up what they have available to the diagrams on hipshots site, is there a hipshot hardtail bridge that will match any of the options for bridge routes on warmoth?

Also when they send them the bridge for custom option, do they mean the actual bridge or a diagram of how it's drilled?

Also i'm not too familiar with the different types of tuners, what's pretty standard these days? I know its mostly preference, but I mean I don't have enough experience to even have preference.

I have a Warmoth strat with a Hipshot fixed bridge.  I ordered the body with the Vintage Strat Flat Mount option but asked to not have the mounting holes drilled as they are spaced differently from the Hipshot.  The string holes don't exactly line up but they are close, plenty close enough to easily get the strings through.

I did end up with the .175" floor height.  With the .125" I had to max out the saddle height screws.  With the .175" it is right in the middle of the range.

The Hipshot is a drop-in replacement for the standard Strat hardtail bridge screw pattern.  I am very happy with the Hipshot bridges I have used. I have used the ones without the surround, but candidly I think they are not as attractive as the part you're considering.  Go fer it, dude!

41200_COVER_500x.jpg

My first Warmoth was a 7/8 Strat with a 24" Mustang neck (all my guitars have 24" necks)

60c.jpg_m.jpg

I went with the Fender American Standard flat mount bridge

f65.jpg_m.jpg

FASH1C.jpg

The bridge works perfectly. Fits as it should since I chose that bridge route when I ordered the body. I also like the fact that it has more narrow string spacing. Also, not that expensive at $50.

MidnightMinstrel said:
Also i'm not too familiar with the different types of tuners, what's pretty standard these days? I know its mostly preference, but I mean I don't have enough experience to even have preference.

Hi there,

Without a doubt, get staggered locking tuners.  Locking tuners are a huge leap forward in guitar stuff.  I have them on all my guitars - even the acoustics!

Regarding tuner brands,  I have had great luck with Gotoh 510 tuners and hipshot ultralite tuners.  I personally would avoid Sperzel - I had a couple of sets and was not impressed. 

If you're going for a hipshot bridge, you may as well get the tuners there too.

Update:  Sporthitech has good prices on hipshot stuff:  http://www.sporthitech.com/

Bagman67 said:
The Hipshot is a drop-in replacement for the standard Strat hardtail bridge screw pattern.  I am very happy with the Hipshot bridges I have used. I have used the ones without the surround, but candidly I think they are not as attractive as the part you're considering.  Go fer it, dude!

41200_COVER_500x.jpg

Are you saying if I get to standard strat route that a hipshot bridge will fit?

Yep.  Same for the part with the raised surround around the saddles.  Make sure you specify the correct string spacing for the part you want. A vintage-spaced bridge  with a body drilled for the modern part can be a pain to discover when you're assembling.

Here are the specs for the Hipshot linked in your first post:
968533048_tp.jpg

And for the Warmoth fixed bridge options:
https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BridgeRoutingOptions.aspx

The mounting holes are .875" on the Hipshot, .890" on the Vintage Strat Flat Mount and .827" on the American Standard Strat.

The string hole spacing is .416" for the Hipshot, .446" for the Vintage, and .413" for the American.

So, from these specs, the Vintage mounting holes are closest (+.015") and the American string hole spacing is almost identical (-.003").  I suspect the screw mounting holes for the Vintage are close enough to be used without issue and, as I mentioned in my earlier post, though the Vintage string holes aren't right on, they will work fine, so if it were me and I didn't want to drill the mounting holes, I'd go with the Vintage 'route'.

I would say for a first build go for parts that do fit and don't require having to deal with additional hurdles.

For tuners I like either Schaller or Hipshot staggered locking tuners.

VinceClortho said:
Here are the specs for the Hipshot linked in your first post:
968533048_tp.jpg

And for the Warmoth fixed bridge options:
https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BridgeRoutingOptions.aspx

The mounting holes are .875" on the Hipshot, .890" on the Vintage Strat Flat Mount and .827" on the American Standard Strat.

The string hole spacing is .416" for the Hipshot, .446" for the Vintage, and .413" for the American.

So, from these specs, the Vintage mounting holes are closest (+.015") and the American string hole spacing is almost identical (-.003").  I suspect the screw mounting holes for the Vintage are close enough to be used without issue and, as I mentioned in my earlier post, though the Vintage string holes aren't right on, they will work fine, so if it were me and I didn't want to drill the mounting holes, I'd go with the Vintage 'route'.

Thanks for that, Yah  I was going back and forth myself between the warmoth routes and the hipshots and nothing was fitting perfectly. I didn't know whether or not measurements needed to match exactly. I would honestly prefer the shorter string spacing in the american, but it looks like you're saying the vintage would probably hold up better?

There also another style hardtail from hipshot and one for sale right now on stewmac for cheaper than hipshots price (it might be the same as the one I originally posted). Ill try and attach the diagrams.

Do any of these match more closely?

Sorry i tried to insert image but theres no real directions as to what to put in between the brackets..

heres the link to the stewmac bridge: https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/all-hardware-and-parts-by-instrument/electric-guitar-parts/electric-guitar-bridges-and-tailpieces/non-trem-electric-guitar-bridges/hipshot-hardtail-bridge.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2020-07-gp&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3ZX4BRDmARIsAFYh7ZIiRqe1cUDnJG05tXDYuI6iKOW-747EauTagnR1CU6Y6jCdmbjoDjIaAk_xEALw_wcB

The other bridges you might have to download below cause I dont know how to post them as images.

or I think I can link them here: THE M stands for modern and V vintage.

https://docs.hipshotproducts.com/41200M.PDF
https://docs.hipshotproducts.com/41200V.PDF

Attachments

• 41200M.PDF
    181.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 41200V.PDF
    180.3 KB · Views: 76
stratamania said:
I would say for a first build go for parts that do fit and don't require having to deal with additional hurdles.

Do you think trying to match up a hipshot with one of warmoths standard hardtail routes will be too much of a headache for me for a first build? Thing is, I don't have very much experience with installing bridges, virtually none... heh... i'd like to learn thoough... :bananaguitar:

I would honestly prefer the shorter string spacing in the american, but it looks like you're saying the vintage would probably hold up better?
It depends if you want to drill the mounting holes yourself.  If you don't want to drill, the Vintage would probably work best as the mounting holes are very close to the Hipshot 41065 (from the first post and StewMac).  If you are OK with drilling the 3 mounting holes, the American route would be better as the string hole spacing is nearly identical to the narrower Hipshot.

The other bridges you might have to download below cause I dont know how to post them as images.
or I think I can link them here: THE M stands for modern and V vintage.
The 41200V is identical in specs to the Warmoth Vintage route so it would certainly work and be the easiest to deal with as far as compatibility.  The 41200M mounting holes are different from Warmoth so you'd be in the same boat as with the 41065.

SportHiTech usually has the best prices I've found on Hipshot stuff.  I have purchased many a tuner and bridge from them and have been very happy.  They also have an active eBay store.

Gotoh makes great tuners but avoid the locking type that doesn't have the wheel on that back, they're hideous.

The two post Schallers are hard to beat and they feel good. Some might not like their ratio but you can tune up just fine. They're big and tanky and solid as can be. All of mine are older and I don't know about the Fender-marked ones though.

Lately I like Hipshot Grip-lock tuners, which are pretty inexpensive, but I always buy the non-staggered variety. I've seen complaints that the string holes can be too low and have seen that on other models. Besides that, I like string trees and have a box full of them. I'm hardwired to see them on straight headstocks.

Planet Waves/D'Addario Trim-Lok require a special rout (or a reamer), and are my functional favorite by far, but aesthetically they're kinda bleh and the wheel lock mechanism could feel more solid. My 1 and 2, HH strat type and LP type, both have them and they're both very much player guitars and not showpieces. The string cutting thing isn't that a big deal relative to other locking tuners, but my shop is downstairs and my studio is upstairs and I tend to misplace tools that come upstairs. And it just seems cleaner without that little knub of string. Again, personal thing. 

Sperzels weren't for me in three tries. I didn't like the skinny little locking wheel on one, maybe it was price or something but I've sworn them off.

Mayfly said:
I personally would avoid Sperzel - I had a couple of sets and was not impressed. 

Shit.

I just ordered a new Warmoth neck drilled for Sperzels because I'd heard so many good things about them!

Do Schallers really fit the same 25/64" holes? Seems weird that Warmoth lists those as two separate options when you spec a custom neck.

Sperzel's weren't the best for me.  Mainly because I perfer the 18:1 ratio of Schallers or Fender/Ping tuners.  Definitely need to get staggered posts.
Sperzel's look bulky and didn't seem as smooth as the Schallers.

Gotoh Have a newer bridge called 510FX-6.  That looks like it may fit the AM standard bridge route, but I am not 100% sure.

MidnightMinstrel said:
stratamania said:

Do you think trying to match up a hipshot with one of warmoths standard hardtail routes will be too much of a headache for me for a first build? Thing is, I don't have very much experience with installing bridges, virtually none... heh... i'd like to learn thoough... :bananaguitar:

It might be too much of a headache and one that is easily avoided.

But we have no idea of what types of skills you may have from other areas.

The one constant on all my builds is Hipshot tuners. They’re half the price of Graphtech Ratios, and that’s where I think you need to get to fir an improvement.

Back