Hardtail Bridge Recommendations/Which is "Best?"

Watchie

I am building a Strat, and want to install a "premium" hardball bridge (string through body design). I have spotted the Gotoh (brass), the Hipshot (steel) and the Callaham, all in a chrome finish.  Notably, the Gotoh has a five screw attachment to the body design and the others use the more traditional three.

Any thoughts, experience or recommendations?  Like everyone, I want great sustain and at the same time a bridge that won't over time deteriorate.

Thanks in advance for any/all input.

I've never seen one for sale (or even another one just like it), but I believe this might be an ESP bridge, as most of the other hardware is. Can't say whats the bridge and whats just a lucky selection of woods, but I love love love this guitar.

zion-bridge.jpg

What's your pickup setup?

If you're doing buckers, and  you want your strat to sound big and fat and punchy, the Gotoh is awesome.

If you have single coils, and you want the Strat to sound airy and vintage?  something with bent steel like callaham for sure.

I just put an original Fender American Standard on my Tele build, it is a very nice bridge

I am quite a fan of Callaham bridges, and also Graphtech saddles.
I think the combination of the Callaham plate and Graphtech saddles may work for you.

Use nothing less than a #003 7592 000 Fender 57/62 Vintage USA bridge 2 3/16" (2 7/32") string spacing hardtail bridge, new around $50.00 on eBay. Keep in mind there are other Fender brand bridges that imitate the 57/62 and those are junk. The Callaham hardtail bridge plate is .101" thick, the Fender is .110" and generally sets up easily. Both are good bridges. Other suggestions...Do not let the soldered ground wire protrude too much from its channel and prevent the tightened plate from making full contact with the body. For extra insurance I usually extend the ground channel until the wire drops into a screw hole. Replace the three OEM mounting screws with #8-1" Stainless Oval Head Phillips screws from Home Depot, etc.
Basically vibrations are like electricity, the more attention paid to the connections the better the flow. Most all mass produced parts will require detail tweaking here and there. I.E. Saddle spring ends might need to be filed so not to bind, catch, rattle, etc.
One other note...The above photo posted by swarfrat shows the proper space and alignment between the bridge and the pickguard, the way they all should be.
For those who prefer the narrow string spacing, the Japanese 57/62 bridge is well made.

I have a Callaham on my Strat and it is awesome.  I have a Gotoh 510 on my VIP and I like it tonally but I would not put it on a Strat because it does not have individual saddles.

Hipshot hardtail is very nice.  Plain ol' Fender one works, is traditional too.  FWIW, I prefer the narrower strat bridges, the original hard tail is just too dang wide, leaves the strings too close to the edges of the neck for my taste.

Watchie said:
I am building a Strat, and want to install a "premium" hardball bridge (string through body design). I have spotted the Gotoh (brass), the Hipshot (steel) and the Callaham, all in a chrome finish.  Notably, the Gotoh has a five screw attachment to the body design and the others use the more traditional three.

Any thoughts, experience or recommendations?  Like everyone, I want great sustain and at the same time a bridge that won't over time deteriorate.

Thanks in advance for any/all input.

The Gotoh one with the 5 screws, Warmoth doesn't offer a route for that.  It can be modified to work, I've seen it done, but I don't know your level or willingness for that kind of mod.

=CB= said:
Hipshot hardtail is very nice.   Plain ol' Fender one works, is traditional too.  FWIW, I prefer the narrower strat bridges, the original hard tail is just too dang wide, leaves the strings too close to the edges of the neck for my taste.

Do you think a superwide would cure the "too close to the edges" problem?

Steve_Karl said:
=CB= said:
Hipshot hardtail is very nice.   Plain ol' Fender one works, is traditional too.  FWIW, I prefer the narrower strat bridges, the original hard tail is just too dang wide, leaves the strings too close to the edges of the neck for my taste.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but I think a "superwide" would make the problem worse.

Personally, I like the hipshot hardtail.

312.jpg

With a brass body and stainless saddles, this thing's got "sustain" written all over it. Fits over Warmoth's vintage Strat hardtail hole pattern without modification.

Steve_Karl said:
=CB= said:

No. I dont think so.  The nut is wider, so the spacing overall will be wider.  Whether the added fretboard width covers that... dunno.  I think a narrow nut would do better.    Think of it.  If the strings all came to a point at the nut instead of being spaced out, the width of the strings at fret 12 or 21 or whatever, would be narrower, for any given bridge widge, no?

=CB= said:
Steve_Karl said:
=CB= said:
Hipshot hardtail is very nice.   Plain ol' Fender one works, is traditional too.  FWIW, I prefer the narrower strat bridges, the original hard tail is just too dang wide, leaves the strings too close to the edges of the neck for my taste.

No. I dont think so.  The nut is wider, so the spacing overall will be wider.  Whether the added fretboard width covers that... dunno.  I think a narrow nut would do better.    Think of it.  If the strings all came to a point at the nut instead of being spaced out, the width of the strings at fret 12 or 21 or whatever, would be narrower, for any given bridge widge, no?

I see what you mean.
Going with your thought I'm now more inclined to go with a 1-11/16" nut width as opposed to my usual 1-3/4" for this vintage strat bridge.
The issue is that I've already purchased a ghost acousta-phonic system with vintage spaced saddles.

I was ready to sell the ghost saddles and get them for the narrow spacing. Hummm .... I still might.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: I just measeured my Ovation Adamas II string spacing and it's 2-3/16" ( center of high E to center of low E ) at the bridge.
That's 1/16" shy of what W. says it's Vintage strat is but the ghost saddles for the vintage ( PN 8000-F0 ) are said to be 2-3/16". ( wiggle room maybe )

My Adamas is 1=11/16" wide at the nut.
I don't have any problems with the strings being too close to the edge on the neck on the Adamas so I guess I'll be ok with my original plan,
but I'll probably go 1-11/16" at the nut rather than 1-3/4".

Update: I just measeured my Ovation Adamas II string spacing and it's 2-3/16" ( center of high E to center of low E ) at the bridge.
That's 1/16" shy of what W. says it's Vintage strat is but the ghost saddles for the vintage ( PN 8000-F0 ) are said to be 2-3/16". ( wiggle room maybe )

My Adamas is 1=11/16" wide at the nut.
I don't have any problems with the strings being too close to the edge on the neck on the Adamas so I guess I'll be ok with my original plan,
but I'll probably go 1-11/16" at the nut rather than 1-3/4".

The general consensus seems to be 2 3/16" string spacing actually means 2 7/32" spacing. It's like a 2x4 framing stud isn't exactly a 2x4, perhaps it's easier to say and remember.
Warmoth spacing may have been rounded off higher or their spacing may be 2 1/4" as advertised.
Callaham and Raw Vintage use 2 7/32" to designate spacing. I use 2 7/32" spacing because it helps align the strings with pup poles, helps with bends, etc. And, certain Fender attributes remain sacred.
If you can use a hand file to cut into a bridge saddle destined for a Stratocaster don't use the bridge. A Fender 57/62 bridge saddle cannot be filed easily by hand. Callaham hardens his saddles much more than Fender, Raw Vintage doesn't say much about their process but claims to reproduce the good old days.  
I’m sure there’s an exception or two but most guitar legends who played Stratocasters rode to the top on Fender bent saddles. Obviously Callaham and Raw Vintage understand that otherwise their bridge saddles would be shaped like a box.

I've always like the MiM spacing of 2 1/16" (52mm), but that also what I've been playing almost all my life.

Back