Handmade all bubinga bass

shagga

Hi there guys,

as riarojr asked for it in the body wood forum, i would like to post a few pictures of my "all bubinga fretless bass".
i built it completely by hand from two chunks of fine bubinga wood back in 1998.

neck and body are made from bubinga, the neck has got a ebony fretboard and is glued in until somewhere under the first pickup.
as bubinga is such a hard and heavy wood, i chose to go with a rather slim body design.

have a look:

Attachments

• IMG_6601.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,264
two humbuckers in rosewood covers, switchable from serial to parallel via mini-switch,
push-pull volume (de-)activates the active circuit,
balance,
bass (cut & boost),  (only on when active-circuit is not deactivated)
mid-cut/-boost and sweepable midrange (only on when active-circuit is not deactivated)

the little insert near the end of the fingerboard covers the access to the trussrod and can be pulled out by using a small screw.
so there is no need to either remove strings completely in order to adjust the neck and to remove wood from the headplate.

Attachments

• IMG_6602.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,027
and the whole thing again (messy picture though, sorry..)

Attachments

• IMG_6617.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 999
Spectacular. The bubinga goes great with the ebony board and rosewood covers (a HUGE plus on those covers, man). You did a great job there.

NonsenseTele said:
Just a doubt: what's that in the 21th ""fret""??  ???

looks like a removable plug for adjusting the trussrod ... of course a close-up of the headstock could easily put this theory to shame

all the best,

R

Thank you guys!  Glad you like it! :eek:ccasion14:

SkuttleFunk said:
looks like a removable plug for adjusting the trussrod ... of course a close-up of the headstock could easily put this theory to shame

all the best,

R

You are absolutely right!
sorry, as i am not a native speaker, i might have described it quite awkwardly (read plain wrong) in my second post.. changed this now!

regarding the final weight:
although i managed to get a fairly slim body design, it still is quite a heavy bass going in at about 4 to 5 kilos! (~ 9 pounds)

jackthehack said:
Smokin'   :eek:ccasion14:  Where's you get the bubinga?

I attended the great guitarbuilding course at "Formentera Guitars", on the beautiful small balear-island Formentera:
http://www.formentera-guitars.de/seiten/uk/uk-index.htm

These guys have all the parts and the woods for you to fullfill your wildest woodworking dreams..  :icon_thumright:

No doubt, it was my best holidays so far!
Three weeks of sun, beach, and shedding wood, and in the end you are going home with your own, completely handbuilt custom instrument!

Wow...that sure does sound like a dream vacation!  Why must my wife always make us do something the kids want to do???!!!

So much wow!!!
I am so proud to be around on this forum!
The reddish bubinga and very brown covers are wonderful.
I might have used a pau ferro board.

Back