Handmade all bubinga bass

shagga

Hi there guys,

as riarojr asked for it in the body wood forum, i would like to post a few pictures of my "all bubinga fretless bass".
i built it completely by hand from two chunks of fine bubinga wood back in 1998.

neck and body are made from bubinga, the neck has got a ebony fretboard and is glued in until somewhere under the first pickup.
as bubinga is such a hard and heavy wood, i chose to go with a rather slim body design.

have a look:

Attachments

• IMG_6601.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,263

shagga

two humbuckers in rosewood covers, switchable from serial to parallel via mini-switch,
push-pull volume (de-)activates the active circuit,
balance,
bass (cut & boost),  (only on when active-circuit is not deactivated)
mid-cut/-boost and sweepable midrange (only on when active-circuit is not deactivated)

the little insert near the end of the fingerboard covers the access to the trussrod and can be pulled out by using a small screw.
so there is no need to either remove strings completely in order to adjust the neck and to remove wood from the headplate.

Attachments

• IMG_6602.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,027

shagga

and the whole thing again (messy picture though, sorry..)

Attachments

• IMG_6617.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 999

nathan a

Spectacular. The bubinga goes great with the ebony board and rosewood covers (a HUGE plus on those covers, man). You did a great job there.

SkuttleFunk

NonsenseTele said:
Just a doubt: what's that in the 21th ""fret""??  ???

looks like a removable plug for adjusting the trussrod ... of course a close-up of the headstock could easily put this theory to shame

all the best,

R

shagga

Thank you guys!  Glad you like it! :eek:ccasion14:

SkuttleFunk said:
looks like a removable plug for adjusting the trussrod ... of course a close-up of the headstock could easily put this theory to shame

all the best,

R

You are absolutely right!
sorry, as i am not a native speaker, i might have described it quite awkwardly (read plain wrong) in my second post.. changed this now!

regarding the final weight:
although i managed to get a fairly slim body design, it still is quite a heavy bass going in at about 4 to 5 kilos! (~ 9 pounds)

shagga

jackthehack said:
Smokin'   :eek:ccasion14:  Where's you get the bubinga?

I attended the great guitarbuilding course at "Formentera Guitars", on the beautiful small balear-island Formentera:
http://www.formentera-guitars.de/seiten/uk/uk-index.htm

These guys have all the parts and the woods for you to fullfill your wildest woodworking dreams..  :icon_thumright:

No doubt, it was my best holidays so far!
Three weeks of sun, beach, and shedding wood, and in the end you are going home with your own, completely handbuilt custom instrument!

G

guitlouie

Wow...that sure does sound like a dream vacation!  Why must my wife always make us do something the kids want to do???!!!

Tweed

So much wow!!!
I am so proud to be around on this forum!
The reddish bubinga and very brown covers are wonderful.
I might have used a pau ferro board.