Half-Moth "Double Black" 12 String

Thomas3D

Its Black and it has double the strings and a set of "double" p90s so "Double Black"  The neck is a modified Warmoth, it was a 70s style SmurfHat headstock that I rounded over. I made the body out of three pieces of alder.  Jack Plate and Control plate attached by machine screws into threaded inserts so I can take them on and off as much as I want without wearing the softer alder wood out.  P180s from GFS. Controls are Three-way Les Paul style pickup selector, coil tap switch (taps both pickups at the same time), Volume, Tone. Gotoh twelve string hardtail bridge, Gotoh Tuners. Finished with Rust-O-leum spray on Lacquer.

Attachments

• P1160445.JPG
    P1160445.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 546
  • P1160448.JPG
    P1160448.JPG
    355.7 KB · Views: 441
  • P1160451.JPG
    P1160451.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 466
  • P1160455.JPG
    P1160455.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 378
awesome! i want a 12 string, but keep putting it off for one reason or another. this thing looks great though!

Super smooth build! Any sound clips? I've been wanting a 12-string too for a while, but there's all these priorities to account for :-\

Twelves are really cool. If you already own three for guitars and you haven't gotten a 12 yet, you really should make your next one a 12. For me, that number is my 2nd guitar.

Too bad they won't do a baritone-12, I think the longer scale length could really come in nice on the tones.  I've been talking about doing a baritone-6, stringing 10-52  and only tuning down a whole step just for the range on an otherwise 'normal' guitar. Were it an option, I'd like to try stringing a baritone-12 9-42 and down 1/2 step - I didn't run the math, but that should put string tension near 'normal', with a smaller diameter string on a longer scale (for even nicer tones).  That'd probably necessitate a unison G rather than octave, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing as when I do try melody work on a 12 string, the octave popping in if I forget and land on the G string is seldom what I had in mind. (Come to think of it, I may try switching it out on my D'Addario XL140's.)

swarfrat said:
Too bad they won't do a baritone-12, I think the longer scale length could really come in nice on the tones. 

Have you seen the Taylor 8 string baritone acoustic?  The two middle strings have an octave string while the other strings are normal, its an interesting idea and very cool guitar in my opinion.  I played one over the holidays while I was demoing acoustics, I probably would have bought it had it not been $2800 =)

Doing an electric baritone with that concept would be a cool project.

tangent said:
swarfrat said:
Too bad they won't do a baritone-12, I think the longer scale length could really come in nice on the tones. 

Have you seen the Taylor 8 string baritone acoustic?  The two middle strings have an octave string while the other strings are normal, its an interesting idea and very cool guitar in my opinion.  I played one over the holidays while I was demoing acoustics, I probably would have bought it had it not been $2800 =)

Doing an electric baritone with that concept would be a cool project.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-XXX9V-9String-Grand-Symphony-35th-Anniversary-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=583315
But as an electric.. would be cool.

If you bought a baritone (or regular scale) paddle neck, you could take use a hardtail bridge and substitute a single saddle with a double string saddle from a 12 string bridge and add octave strings wherever you see fit. File extra slots on the nut. Design your head stock. Interesting idea

Back