guitar packing

vtpcnk

i am actually going abroad. i have four guitars. i and my wife can take only one each in hand.

i plan to detach the neck from the body of the other two guitars and pack/take them in hardshell suitcases.

maybe wrap a towel around them for cushioning/protection etc.

anybody done something like this before? any advice?

i have seen some people carrying some kind of tubular round cases over their shoulders in new york - maybe with engineering or art charts inside.

was wondering if i could use something like that to carry the necks with me in hand - as i think any damage to the neck would be more crippling than to the body.

appreciate the feedback.

Personally, I would pack the ones you can't carry fully built, bubblewrapped within their cases, then boxed and filled with foam peanuts, and ship them overseas via UPS or FedEx, insured, with tracking.... just as if you were selling them and sending them off to their new home.

grahny said:
Personally, I would pack the ones you can't carry fully built, bubblewrapped within their cases, then boxed and filled with foam peanuts, and ship them overseas via UPS or FedEx, insured, with tracking.... just as if you were selling them and sending them off to their new home.

That's probably the best idea, but it's expensive that way.
I paid $60 and then $90 to ship out a bass once....

>Personally, I would pack the ones you can't carry fully built, bubblewrapped within their cases, then boxed and filled with foam peanuts, and >ship them overseas via UPS or FedEx, insured, with tracking

no, that is not an option. shipping/customs etc it will be too expensive.

i have two hardshell suitcases. i'm planning to put the guitars in them.

customs should not be a problem if you ship the guitars to yourself (even if overseas).
you are not buying so there are no tax to be paid...

I've done this with set-neck guitars.  Here's my method:

1 - slacken the strings completely.  If it's a LP (which one of these guitars was), take the bridge and tail piece off.
2 - take extra crap out of the case.
3 - add some padding under the headstock - especially if it's an LP.
4 - close the case and tape over the latches.
5 - go to your neighborhood guitar store and get some guitar shipping boxes.  Ask Nicely.
6 - put the guitar cases in the boxes, add packing material as required, and tape em up. 
7 - mark with name and new address and mark as fragile.

and here's the critical bit

8 - give them to your moving company with the rest of your stuff.

That worked for me for a 3000km move.

Back