Ground to the neck pocket?

neotim

I've just started the first steps in wiring my LP and noticed a hole going from the neck pup to the neck pocket.  Is this meant for a ground wire to go to the neck plate?  This question was asked before but no one gave a definitive answer.

Why would a neck plate need to be grounded? Not only is there no purpose, as the neck plate has no effect on the pickups and strings, but have you ever seen anyone do that before?

Holes from the neck pocket to pickup cavities are generally there because the pickup routes' wiring channel was drilled from the neck pocket, rather than from the pickup cavity to the control cavity.

I suspect that it's a manufacturing artifact of drilling the hole between the neck pickup and bridge pickup cavities. Since manufacturing still has yet to develop technology capable to drilling double blind holes, the drill has to come from some external direction.

Yeah, pretty sure it's exactly what swarfrat said based on your pictures.

On a carved top LP you don't have that because they route that channel before gluing the top on, but on a flat top you have to drill from somewhere.

Back