Grizzly Guitar Kits

Graffiti62

Hey Guys--

Have any of you ever worked with the luthier kits from Grizzly Supply Company?  I saw a Tele kit on there for $130, and thought that I could learn on a cheap kit, without boogering up the high-end stuff I am planning to shell out for future projects. I've done a fair chunk of repairs, but this is still the first full assembly job I've ever done.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=235040

If any of you can offer some advice/opinions about the Grizzly kits, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Huh, never seen those before!  That price is stupid cheap...  I imagine the neck and pickups are junk but you've still got a body, some hardware, and a pickguard.  Do you think the body is Tele-compatible?

My opinion is that they are probably not the greatest, but they will for sure serve your purpose of wanting to try out stuff before buying expensive parts and messing them up.
I say go for it. Even if it plays and sounds like crap, its worth not destroying a 1000$ build.

Hey it may not be the greatest, but as stated it is stupid cheap. And would help gain experience of building and finishing without breaking the bank... :dontknow:

I spent a minute looking through the manual. That would be a lot harder than assembling a warmoth - you have to drill neck holes and align the bridge, at the least (didn't read it all). If you are confident, go for it. If you are a total newb, this will either be a great learning experience or a total waste of money. Let us know if go through with it!

My experience with the cheapo kits in general is that the body and the neck are actually reasonably good but very plain, meaning you'd best avoid transparent finishes. The body to neck fit however is far from what we come to expect after being so badly spoilt by W. My biggest issue is with the tuners which are usually real junk, the nut which seems to be designed to demonstrate the notion that a universal precut nut just won't cut it, and the frets which are not just unfinished but in some cases stick out from the sides of the fingerboard so far that you risk amputating a finger. If you're prepared to swap the tuners and the nut (possibly the pups as well) and do a fret job you can get very decent results. If you view it primarily as an educational project or as a finishing test bed, you don't even need to do that.

Requires basic skills and tools to complete

Ho, ho, ho! Now there's a marketeers line if ever there were one...

Having said that, I wouldn't mind a crack at one of the basses, though pound to a pinch of wotsit, they wouldn't ship it over here.

Back