Acoustic Kits

Jcurl02

First I must apologize, this doesn't have anything to do with Warmoth.  However, I do trust the feedback from this group.

I've "assembled" a couple of Warmoth electrics and had a blast.  I also own a Gretsch, a Gibson Les Paul a MIM Fender Strat as well as five acoustics.  Of the acoustics, really two or three are decent or better ( a 12 string Fender, a Takamine and a Martin D18).  The othes are really just crap beginner guitars.  Honestly I don't play much for lots of bad reasons but I won't get into that.

Lately I've had a "build" bug.  Not just as assembly but a down and out full build.  I really can't justify yet another guitar and for sure not another high dollar (at least expense if not worth as we all know that if I build another Warmoth it's value seems to be better as parts.  My two Warmoths were well over $1000 each.  Sorry but judging from the ebay sales and sales on this forum, I think you'd all agree.  Besides most don't do it for re-sale value anyway).

Sorry for the rambling but I'm seriously thinking of building an acoustic from a kit.  There are a number of decent looking ones out there.  Martin, LMI, etc.  Some Woodcraft shops even offer classes on building a guitar.  My question is, have any of you ever tried an acoustic build?  Any feedback?  I trust this forum mush more than the ones with something at stake trying to get me to purchase one of their kits.

I looked into it a few years back, and it seems like fun and something I'm confident I have the skill set to do. Drawback is you sorta need to want to build more than one, as you'll spend more on specialty tools and clamps than you will on the kit, so you need to amortize those out over several builds. As with the Warmoth route of building guitars, it's not a money saving thing as much as it's a "get something unique" effort.

Back