Gretsch-style Thumbnail Inlays on Necks

Nightclub Dwight

I've always thought the thumbnail inlay Gretsch uses looks really classy on certain guitars, especially on a deep black ebony fretboard.  It might be a nice option to offer here.

Nightclub Dwight said:
I've always thought the thumbnail inlay Gretsch uses looks really classy on certain guitars, especially on a deep black ebony fretboard.  It might be a nice option to offer here.

Agreed+1  :icon_thumright:
I have asked about this one in particular and Warmoth said no way. 
I feel they need some new and different inlay options in general!!!
I have even asked about repeating something different that I have seen on existing necks in the showcase.  Same answer; no way...

+1 to new inlay shapes. it would also be nice if they offered REAL mother-of-pearl and abolone for the larger inlays.

Brian

+1!
I'd like to see some more serious inlay options and not just skulls, bones and shark bits... I'd love parallellograms!

kboman said:
+1!
I'd like to see some more serious inlay options and not just skulls, bones and shark bits... I'd love parallellograms!

Am I the only one who thinks the skull inlays look too...happy?

ErogenousJones said:
kboman said:
+1!

Am I the only one who thinks the skull inlays look too...happy?
Well, it's a Jolly Roger, not an Emo Roger.
istockphoto_10097304-emo-skull-crest.jpg

^Hates the world.

+1 to the Gretsch style inlays.

As far as inlay options Warmoth, I think you have great options, but you could have 1,000,000 and we'd want 1,000,001. 

P.S.  If anybody puts a +1 to this reply, please make it a +1,000,002.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
As far as inlay options Warmoth, I think you have great options, but you could have 1,000,000 and we'd want 1,000,001.

While that's probably true, they still don't have much more outside of the bare essentials as far as inlay options, given the range of necks they sell. Blocks, trapezoids, dots and sharkfins are all pretty much mandatory. Stars, diamonds, and ovals are nice custom options, and to a lesser extent the crosses and skull & bones. But that seems like a pretty short list for Warmoth, with all of the custom work they do in elsewhere.

Maybe there's just nothing else that would sell well enough to justify making, I really don't know. Having said all of that, I'd take Mother of Plastic over the cream dots as a default.

jay4321 said:
Maybe there's just nothing else that would sell well enough to justify making, I really don't know. Having said all of that, I'd take Mother of Plastic over the cream dots as a default.

Sorry, but I'm just not believing there are no other designs that would sell well. 
If you go to sites like Bryan England's Custom Inlay, they have a wide array of cool inlays that are pre-made and reasonably priced.
Anyway, if it is a custom order, they don't have to worry about selling pieces that people don't want.  They are already sold...
I would sure loooooovvvvveeeee to see some options, if even just for custom orders.  :cool01: :cool01: :cool01:
:rock-on:

Yeah, the parts take 8-10 weeks to make as it is, it's not like they don't have some time to get the materials for doing a custom inlay that isn't ordered very often while they get the neck ready for that part.  I'm sure they could just say "Allow an extra week for ------ inlay option," and everyone would be fine with that.

hannaugh said:
Yeah, the parts take 8-10 weeks to make as it is, it's not like they don't have some time to get the materials for doing a custom inlay that isn't ordered very often while they get the neck ready for that part.  I'm sure they could just say "Allow an extra week for ------ inlay option," and everyone would be fine with that.

Yes, I totally agree...  I would accept this offer every time.
Warmoth, do you hear us knockin?
Give the people what they want...
Singin' power to the people
Power to the people
Power to the people
Power to the people, right on...
[$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$]
:headbang1: :hello2: :headbang1:

Bump!

I would like to see this option.  I went searching for this because I figured somebody had requested this before.  I realize that there are a lot of inlay patterns that just are not going to justify Warmoth's investment, but I think the Gretsch Thumbnail would be a lot more popular than several of the current options.

We're getting close!  I saw this in the showcase and did a double take.  Its just a small step away from a thumbnail style inlay.

7SN20a.jpg

Nightclub Dwight said:
We're getting close!  I saw this in the showcase and did a double take.  Its just a small step away from a thumbnail style inlay.

7SN20a.jpg
It's available only on the 7 string necks.. :sad1:

That would be close enough for me.  I looked at some of the Gretsch thumbnails the last time I went to the guitar store. They all had binding on the neck. Would this be required for thumbnail inlays?

Back