Greetings, I just joined... here's my Warmoth Gold-Top Telecaster Deluxe.

RockStarNick

Hey guys,

I'm new here, but I'm a longtime Warmoth Lover and builder.

Here's my Goldtop Tele Deluxe.

The inspiration for this was that I've always loved the LOOK and vibe of the vintage Fender Tele Deluxes, but hated the playability. I like guitars with nice modern playing features, and I prefer the gibson chunky mahogany sound.

This guitar pretty much completely changed the way I think about guitars now. After making an instrument 100% to MY specs, and having it turn out THIS good, I'm never going to buy a guitar off the rack again. Ever. I actually would up selling 2-3 guitars from my collection after this, because there was just no need for them anymore.

Anyways, this guitar's specs:

Tele Deluxe Body, mahogany
Goldtop Gold top, cream binding, natural hog back.
Fender American Standard bridge.
Gibson Gold Knobs
Duncan 59 and Custom 5 pickups
CTS pots and Switchcraft hardware
Warmoth Neck
1/4 Sawn maple with rosewood board, abalone inlays.
Schaller tuners

I love this guitar SO much, I'm making it a twin - in plaintop Cherry Sunburst. I've already got the neck and body, just gotta put it together.

DSCN0381.JPG

DSCN0382.JPG

Thanks guys!  Yeah, I started out playing LPs, and have ALWAYS wanted a goldtop.  But in my new band, I'm singing lead, and the LP is just too darn heavy to wear for 1-2 hours straight. That's another thing that spawned this idea here.

This guitar is a total best of both worlds for me. 

Sort of:

I'm a graphic designer, and one of my vendors that we use to make window decal lettering has this machine that die-cuts the decals.  He has some chrome-sticker material, and cut me a bunch of custom "Pierro" logos for me (my last name.)  I tweaked it to resemble the Fender logo. 

I have about 10 coats of Minwax wipe on poly gloss over the headstock, and you can still see how the logo is raised a bit, but I dont care. Looks great to me! 

Great Build Nick.

Welcome.......but more importantly, what are you planning for your next trick ?  :icon_tongue:

That's a very nice guitar you have there.  Did you do the gold yourself, or is that a warmoth finish?

That's Warmoth's handiwork right there. And might I say, they did a  SUPER clean job on the finish.  Just superb. The back is almost as good looking as the front. Such a great chunk of wood.

The only finishing that I do myself is the neck, with some clear satin Minwax wipe on poly. I've had great luck so far with it, and it's super easy to do.  I've actually had some great results with it on bodies too, using the gloss. Moreso on alder than ash, bit it comes out like a vintage thin gloss finish, and even better - it YELLOWS over time!   :headbang:

My very next build is completing the Sunburst twin to this guy. Basically an identical guitar, but with a mahogany body and an alder laminate top, to mimic a LP plaintop.  It has a translucent cherry back, darker rosewood board, and MOP inlays.  Its going to rock just as hard! 

AFTER THAT... I'm going to make a super stripped down, raw finished, Nuno-inspired shred machine.  Probably doing a custom headstock shape (tracing my buddy's Nuno headstock and using that...) and a raw alder body, with maybe one coat of oil or so.

(I'll post in the future build section, but here's my ideas...)

This one is just about to be assembled... this is a photoshop job. Imagine this plain top.

Plaintop_Tele_Deluxe.png

Here's my shredder idea!

Pierro_NP4.png

Yeah, I took a screen shot of the poplar one for photshop purposes, but I'm definitely using Alder in the final build.

Cool! That's a really great original look. Not a build I would ever think to plan out or create, but seeing it 'alive', it really works.  :icon_thumright:

That is a wonderful-looking tele! I love goldtops and teles, and have wondered how it would look to mix them, and apparently it comes out very, very well.

One thing I would change if I did that build is add pickup covers. :icon_biggrin:

Yeah it's suprising how well Gibson aesthetics work on Fender shapes.

This is the 1st in a trilogy of Gibson-esque Fenders.

#1. Goltop Tele Deluxe (done)
#2. Cherry Sunburst Tele Deluxe (in the works, almost done)
#3. Single P90 "junior" tele in Vintage Sunburst (gotta save some cash, then make it!)

This will be an ultimate trio...

RockStarNick said:
Yeah it's suprising how well Gibson aesthetics work on Fender shapes.

This is the 1st in a trilogy of Gibson-esque Fenders.

#1. Goltop Tele Deluxe (done)
#2. Cherry Sunburst Tele Deluxe (in the works, almost done)
#3. Single P90 "junior" tele in Vintage Sunburst (gotta save some cash, then make it!)

This will be an ultimate trio...

You are right about the Gibson-esque aesthetics for Fender-like bodies.

I think my next build will be a dyed quilted Strat body with a maple neck.  :icon_biggrin:

Seriously.  :icon_thumright:

Back