Green Strat build

The pickguard is from 920D and there's no way to move it around to even get it close.

Well in my biased opinion, 920D is the issue there. I developed this opinion well before they got into hot water last year. The pickguard I tried from 920D was total crap. Looked horrible (the tortoise pattern was printed on) and the PU holes are cartoonishly oversized. But since it was so low cost, it was easier to throw it away then return.

All the said, this seems a bit puzzling that the guard fits the MIM and the MIM guard (well also aftermarket) doesn't as well. Have you checked that the bridge routing really is centered?

920D had quite the QC fiasco last year, so I’ll always be a little suspicious of them.

It wasn't a quality control fiasco...they were shrink-wrapping over $1.25 Mojotone Dijon (polyester) caps and reselling them as paper-in-oil caps for $28. I don't think 920D gets much repeat business, their business model is more about marketing blitzes and being the most prominent, slickest brand when people are looking for parts.

c547d6ec-b0c2-4958-ae75-62037f2436f3-png.1057408

Last edited:
All the said, this seems a bit puzzling that the guard fits the MIM and the MIM guard (well also aftermarket) doesn't as well. Have you checked that the bridge routing really is centered?

My other pickguard I've been using for years lines up fine on the Warmoth, it just won't lay flat by the 5 switch because of the circuit board that's there. It fits the MIM body fine because there much more room in that spot. If I wanted to use that pickguard on the Warmoth I'd have to cut out the triangle shaped part that I circled in a this picture
IMG_20230726_190842~3.jpg

Well in my biased opinion, 920D is the issue there. I developed this opinion well before they got into hot water last year. The pickguard I tried from 920D was total crap. Looked horrible (the tortoise pattern was printed on) and the PU holes are cartoonishly oversized. But since it was so low cost, it was easier to throw it away then return.

It wasn't a quality control fiasco...they were shrink-wrapping over $1.25 Mojotone Dijon (polyester) caps and reselling them as paper-in-oil caps for $28. I don't think 920D gets much repeat business, their business model is more about marketing blitzes and being the most prominent, slickest brand when people are looking for parts.

c547d6ec-b0c2-4958-ae75-62037f2436f3-png.1057408
I was being gentle for GoDrex’s sake, but yeah. I’m sure 920D is part of the problem. Slick looking wiring, but I’d never trust a seller that pulled that crap.

The reason I mentioned loosening the pots is not to free up more room on the round side, but to maybe let the lug/wafer side spin a bit in case it was the part snagging. I’m talking maybe 15 degrees of rotation. Could be nothing.

However, looking at this photo, the orangey ( or is it red) ground wire running along the lower side of the pots could well be the culprit that is stopping you lining things up. See if you can move that wire at the bottom tone pot and that will probably solve it. You might have to remove it and resolder it to a better position than it currently has.
Ding ding ding we have a winner. I can't believe it, but the bead of solder on the side of the pot was enough to throw it off. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Now it's still not perfect. I've been sanding the edge down to get it to fully clear the bridge, but it was right in the ballpark.

Now I have decide if I want to go ahead with this, or wait for the cream/black/cream one I have coming.🤔

IMG_20230729_204230~2.jpg

green-pearl.jpg
green-cream.jpg
Screenshot_20230729_231429.jpg
I don't know, I'm thinking I like the cream better. What do you think?

Edit also considering a gold flake one. The designer didn't have that but this is supposed to be anodized gold.

Last edited:
Wait until the cream one arrives before committing, I think it might look better, but even if it doesn't the holes may be positioned slightly differently. It would be a pain if you drilled for holes and then found they did not fit the new guard.

(Have I won a chicken dinner?)

Wait until the cream one arrives before committing, I think it might look better, but even if it doesn't the holes may be positioned slightly differently. It would be a pain if you drilled for holes and then found they did not fit the new guard.
I had the same thought and I'm holding off until I can compare.

So just an update on my pickguard issues. Ordered the cream pickguard from WD and transferred all the stuff to it and attempted to install it and it fit even worse than the pearl one.🤦🏼‍♂️

So... Ordered a CTS mini pot and installed that and now it's perfect. Not sure what's up exactly but the mini pot works fine and the guitar sounds great. It's always something with me and Warmoth. 🤷🏼‍♂️

View attachment 60160
What about turtle shell? :)
I simultaneously hate and love this! That pickguard is sort of hideous, but would go really nicely with the body and the neck.
So... Ordered a CTS mini pot and installed that and now it's perfect. Not sure what's up exactly but the mini pot works fine and the guitar sounds great. It's always something with me and Warmoth. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Glad it works. Honestly, there's absolutely nothing wrong with mini pots. They get a bad rap from crappy budget instruments that use crappy budget pots. But it's not the fact that they're "mini pots" that's the problem, it's the "crappy budget brand" that's the issue. I use Bourns mini pots by default on all my builds.

Another weird thing about this guitar body is the trem route is different. I don't understand it.

IMG_20230819_190912~3.jpgIMG_20230819_190941~2.jpg

You can see there's less space at the bottom. Because of that, the bridge physically can't move as far down. It's not a huge deal because I have a guitar with a Floyd for that, but it makes me wonder why I had such issues with the pickguard. I'm using the same kind of Callaham bridge. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Back