Great P90 tone - Audley Freed

GoDrex

I was sort of putting the p90 idea on the back burner... but damn this guy's tone is killer. That goldtop sounds fricken amazing. GAS time again. :sad: :laughing8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTA0CV6ULtU

same guy talking about adding notes to the pentatonic - he's describing the same sort of scale that I've been doing for 25 years - it's like one of the only things I play :laughing7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGdhEEGs8lQ

Hmm, he doesn't seem like that impressive a player.  :doh:  But his tone is good!  :guitarplayer2:

No kidding, dudes tone is spot on for what he's talking about. Malcolm Young and the James Gang type tones... :icon_thumright:

let's see... the guy plays with the Black Crows (with Jimmy Page), Joe Perry, The Dixie Chicks, Gov't Mule, Jakob Dylan and is an active session guy in Nashville... someone must think he's pretty impressive... :laughing7:

Well I don't know the name, so I'm only going off the clips.  :dontknow:

I'm not really a fan of the people he plays with (love the Chicks though :laughing7: ) but to me the guy has fantastic feel, which is something I've always tried to strive for, more so than technical ability.

GoDrex said:
I was sort of putting the p90 idea on the back burner... but damn this guy's tone is killer. That goldtop sounds fricken amazing. GAS time again. :sad: :laughing8:

Yes, the sound purring out of that goldtop is amazing!    :headbang1:
I have been considering a p90 build, but this just about makes up my mind for me!

Anybody got any favorite p90's out there?  The only ones I have really played were Phat Cat's. 
I thought they sounded pretty nice, but much different than the p90's on this goldtop.
:rock-on:

bbl4ck said:
GoDrex said:

Yes, the sound purring out of that goldtop is amazing!    :headbang1:
I have been considering a p90 build, but this just about makes up my mind for me!

Anybody got any favorite p90's out there?  The only ones I have really played were Phat Cat's. 
I thought they sounded pretty nice, but much different than the p90's on this goldtop.
:rock-on:
A lot of peeps have referred to the Lollers as being some of the best.... :dontknow:

Guy does have great touch and tone. And YOU definitely need some good P90s! I vote hardtail strat with wenge neck and dual P90s - top routed. A working mans guitar, yet original. Or alternatively, a goldtop LP with wraparound tailpiece or a bigsby.

The only P90 you need consider is Jason Lollar - in fact his tele pickups are amazing too. He is now doing three or four different winds for different styles. His pickups are now stock on Collings and some other really trick older-school electrics.

Yes I have been lusting for a Gold Top with P-90s every since I got turned on to Sean Costello.  Once I heard the tone he was getting with just the guitar, his hands and the amp I have paid very close attention to P-90 equipped guitars.  There is a boatload of great players that have used them over the years to get beautiful tones.  I even saw David Gilmour use one for the solo on Another Brick in the Wall and it sounded so good.  

Check out how Sean uses his pick hand position to get all the tones out of the Lester.  It was hard to choose one clip to post of him but he covers a lot of ground on this one so I put it up.

Thank you for starting the thread, I would love to see other examples of fine P-90 playing.

By the way, Audle has great tone and feel with his Gold Top!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSK-0y3pjIA&feature=PlayList&p=E449CD73FF25FD13&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1[/youtube]

Here's Gilmour with some P-90's
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZKvkRSBEGI&feature=related[/youtube]

Great tone!  However, the tone is more the amp+speaker than the guitar.  They are allowing the natural sound of the guitar through without adding layers of crap (i.e. signal processing) on top.

"Matchless 15 watt"  - not extremely familiar with Matchless circuit(s), but more than likely there's a pair of EL84s in there, and those give a sweet, chimey top end with natural compression.

tfarny said:
Guy does have great touch and tone. And YOU definitely need some good P90s! I vote hardtail strat with wenge neck and dual P90s - top routed. A working mans guitar, yet original. Or alternatively, a goldtop LP with wraparound tailpiece or a bigsby.

The only P90 you need consider is Jason Lollar - in fact his tele pickups are amazing too. He is now doing three or four different winds for different styles. His pickups are now stock on Collings and some other really trick older-school electrics.

Any thoughts about how the Lollar's might work with a Humbucker [i.e. P-90 soapbar neck and middle with humbucker bridge]? 
I checked out the Lollar site and they also have the Lollar's 50's Wind that is supposed to copy the Sean Costello 53 goldtop. 
Anybody tried the two for a comparison? 

I am getting stoked about these p-90's :headbang:

Tonar8353 said:
Yes I have been lusting for a Gold Top with P-90s every since I got turned on to Sean Costello.  

I like this guys style  :headbang1:  He has some CD's available.  Think I might check one out..
However, are you sure his tone has nothing to do with the way he krick's his neck and holds his mouth  :icon_scratch:

+1 to what SL said about the guys tone. I didnt think there was much diff between his sg and his LP tone wise. both were very chimey and bright. Gary, as i recall, you are using one of those black heart amps or an 18 watt marshall clone?

Brian

Yeah that's right. I did have a blackheart, but didn't really like it all that much.

I like the single coil sound of the p90s - it's different enough from a humbucker to make me want a guitar with them in it. I'm thinking about something from Reverend, maybe for my birthday.

I've only listened to the first clip/film, but I actually thought it sounded pretty boring  :icon_scratch: I would have no use at all for that kind of guitar sound.

Back