Great guitar faces

kboman

I'm getting a newsletter from Proguitarshop for some reason and can't be bother to unsubscribe, but today it actually had a pretty funny article: http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/2011/06/22/great-guitar-faces/

It's a good list, but I can't believe they didn't mention Gilmour! I couldn't find a good one of his pouty face, but this works too:
images

:icon_biggrin:

Janne Schaffer, world famous in Sweden and played a lot with ABBA, always sticks out his tongue when he plays (very hard to find a good photo of this):
images

IA Eklundh, ridiculously good player and a really funny guy. I think he was born looking like this...
images

Anyone else have a favourite?

Robin Trower starts making faces as soon as he gets on stage. 931 years old, and he still wails.

RobinTrower6.jpg

Trower takes this one.  I couldn't find any good pictures, but Dave Murray has a pretty funny guitar face.  He has a look like honey badgers are chewing on his feet.

SRV and Gary Moore for the win. I'm on my iPhone so cant find pics, but you've all seen them.

Stevie Ray Vaughn...

srv.jpg

I think a beer can caught him in the nuts there...

This is kind of a guitar face...& boy did he look like a douche that deserved it!!!
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnl6QHd-G28[/youtube]

I was reading the new Premier Guitar a few days back, and the first thing I noticed was that everyone was screaming with their mouths wide open... like ten pictures in a row of dentition I didn't need to see. :laughing7: I had that Joe Walsh "gurning" photo saved too, but:

FaceWarrenHaynes.jpg

Haynes can get way uglier too. This is actually kind of classy:

Maha4.jpg

I feel sorry for all us old guys who grew up before MTV made the facing mandatory, if you didn't get in the "mirror time" young there's no way to catch up without looking like an idiot. Even if you did get the mirror time in.....

To me, one of the more funnier photos is of a guitarist who hasn't played with a Wah Wah pedal a lot. They are usually the ones mouthing the effects. Rule #1 when playing with a Wah Wah:  SHUT YER MOUTH, lol.

Pete, you really bought this Robot amp? How do you like it? I like the tones Philly X takes on them [/off]

You guys should see my guitar face. You don't want to, though. You won't sleep for weeks. I don't really make it on purpose, different faces with different sounds. I make SRVs face look attractive.

FernandoEsteves said:
Pete, you really bought this Robot amp? How do you like it? I like the tones Philly X takes on them [/off]

Yes Nando I bought one of the first lot with the Limited Edition Signature Plate...I got 'lucky' #13. Delivered to me on NYE just gone (31 Dec.2010).    It blasts me freaking head off!   :party07:

I also bought (very soon after) a Demeter Iso Box and put the same type of speaker into the iso box and use the combo amp cranked into that (it has an extension speaker output which cuts the combo speaker). The iso box is in my main bedroom, in a built in wardrobe....I crank the Evil Robot, run it thru the Iso Box, slide the wardrobe door shut on it (!) and run long leads into the next room which is my home studio.....I use a Shure SM57 to get the sound out of the Iso Box into the studio. It's probably one of the few mics that could withstand that sort of abuse. With all that rigged up, the cranked amp sounds no louder than a loud radio from the next room....From the street outside, it would be barely noticeable.

The main disappointment is that I don't play like Phil X!!!! :doh:

To me, the amp is worth every cent I paid for it AND the iso box & speaker.YMMV, of course....Class A amp, excellent vibrato tone circuit, it's OK turned down - to me it sound slike a small Fender combo turned down...but cranked  - it is one angry mofo..Good 70s rock tone for sure.

EDITED: To try and keep it brief.

Tipperman said:
You guys should see my guitar face. You don't want to, though. You won't sleep for weeks. I don't really make it on purpose, different faces with different sounds. I make SRVs face look attractive.

Seems like you should wear a mask on stage  :help:  :toothy12:

Aussie Pete said:
FernandoEsteves said:

Yes Nando I bought one of the first lot with the Limited Edition Signature Plate...I got 'lucky' #13. Delivered to me on NYE just gone (31 Dec.2010).    It blasts me freaking head off!  :party07:

Cool, got the schematics? :D

FernandoEsteves said:
Aussie Pete said:
FernandoEsteves said:

Yes Nando I bought one of the first lot with the Limited Edition Signature Plate...I got 'lucky' #13. Delivered to me on NYE just gone (31 Dec.2010).    It blasts me freaking head off!   :party07:

Cool, got the schematics? :D

Er, no.  :icon_tongue: But the original Magnatone circuits are displayed in the Amp Tube Book by Aspen Pittman - the larger Magnatone 280 is in there. Neil Young has a Magnatone 280 in his backline. The Evil Robot amp is designed around the smaller Magnatone 214 Troubador. Good luck finding the parts though...

Now, this contributor doesn't really fall into the "guitar face" category as guy-look-really-funny-while-playing-with-feeling, but he does have some of the most awesome live faces of all time!

May I present, Devin Townsend!

devin.jpg

Scary_Bald_Man.jpg

artrock_devin_townsend_8.jpg

And some random derpage;

Devin+Townsend+Project++yes.jpg

funny-pics-3.jpg

And then one last one attacked because I can't find it on the internet D:

Attachments

• 47163_433712218306_541703306_4833504_250838_n.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 379
Back