gotoh floyd vs OFR

Orpheo

what are the differences between these 2, except for the way the arm attaches? I looked it up in the search, but didnt find something. I also bumped a topic, but I haven't gotten a resonse so far...

Well there are a number of differences. The bushings for the 2 studs of the Gotoh Floyd are much bigger then the your OFR, but luckily, you can use OFR studs and busings for your gotoh.

The stock saddle bolts that come with the Gotoh Floyd are longer than OFR saddles, but will fit in a recessed OFR rout, just. But you can also change them out for OFR ones too.

The fine tunes are at an angle to the body instead of being at a 90 degree angle to the body, and I think they work a bit smoother then OFR fine tuners too.

I think that the whole trem unit is a tad bigger than the OFR, but luckily it still fits in an OFR rout.

Oh, and the Gotoh Floyd is cheaper too!  :icon_biggrin:

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
Well there are a number of differences. The bushings for the 2 studs of the Gotoh Floyd are much bigger then the your OFR, but luckily, you can use OFR studs and busings for your gotoh.

The stock saddle bolts that come with the Gotoh Floyd are longer than OFR saddles, but will fit in a recessed OFR rout, just. But you can also change them out for OFR ones too.

The fine tunes are at an angle to the body instead of being at a 90 degree angle to the body, and I think they work a bit smoother then OFR fine tuners too.

I think that the whole trem unit is a tad bigger than the OFR, but luckily it still fits in an OFR rout.

Oh, and the Gotoh Floyd is cheaper too!  :icon_biggrin:

if I have to rout, so be it. but I'm most curious in the difference in tone.

at the moment, I dont have floydstuds installed, hell, i have no studs installed what so ever right now, its just routed for a floyd. maybe I have to rougt. we'll cross that bridge when it comes to it.

but, is a gotoh also made of steel?

GoDrex said:
Looks like the Gotoh is about $100 cheaper.

thats clear. but gotoh tuners, for example, are also cheaper than sperzel or grover, but are, imho, better than the latter, so price doesnt say, when gotoh's concerned, a lot about quality. actually, nothing at all.

so, how good is this stuff? I think its good, like the rest of the product line, but still, I like to get information from first hand experience

The tone, I think is great. I'm fairly 91% sure that it is hardened steel like the OFR.

And I always think it is better looking too, especially the saddles.  :headbang1:

The tone, I think is great. I'm fairly 91% sure that it is hardened steel like the OFR.

And I always think it is better looking too, especially the saddles.  :headbang1:

at least its better than the schaller!

I got word today from a friend of mine, who does the best inlay and finishwork I've ever seen. he collects tremolo's, and is a connaisseur regarding trems too. he thinks a gotoh is the best locking trem (stratstyle) around. a kahler is still better, because it requires less woodremoval etc etc, but the gotoh is the best. best saddles, best finetunerposition, best knife edge, best armattachments

The Gotoh is all hardened steel. The trem studs are larger because they are of the locking variety with a set screw inside just like the ones Ibanez used to use. Probably the same part as Gotoh made all of the Edge trem stuff. Installing the locking studs vs OFR studs will give you somewhat enhanced sustain and better return to pitch as there is absolutely zero play in the trem studs. It is a touch bigger all the way around than the OFR, but will fit most OFR routes. I think that all the way around the Gotoh shows smoother machine work, sounds similar, comes with the locking studs, and as said before is a bit cheaper. The Ping Floyd Rose is also hardened steel. I think they are very comparable with the OFR and nearly identical dimensions. I've also had a chance to play one of the new Floyd Rose Specials that are very affordable. Supposed to be hardened steel and seemed to be a good quality trem. Time will tell how good, but they are under $100 and a definete upgrade over the old TRS trems for the mid range stuff they will be using them for.

A number of small Strat builders say that the Gotoh is actually the better sounding one. There might be bias issues since they probably get it a lot cheaper and/or the vendor might be easier to deal with. Not saying it's that way, just to something to keep in mind.

If you are really hot about how the thing sounds you have to go with a OFR.

The reason isn't how the OFR sounds as such. The reason is that you can get a couple alternative blocks and try them out, then keep the one that sounds best for your taste, your playing and your guitar.

Watch out for this one guys.

GFS are making a copy of the Gotoh Floyd Rose. It is going to be made by ping, but it will have I think exactly the same dimensions of the Gotoh Floyd. And also it's going to be alot cheaper too I think. From rumors on various forums.

GFS consistently makes cheap crap when it comes to their hardware... but they're pickups are worth looking into...

Watch out for this one guys.

GFS are making a copy of the Gotoh Floyd Rose. It is going to be made by ping, but it will have I think exactly the same dimensions of the Gotoh Floyd. And also it's going to be alot cheaper too I think. From rumors on various forums.

The material is what counts. The alloys and how they are casted, rolled, cut etc.

I wouldn't put much hope here.

Maybe you should, it says (unless of course GFS are lying) that it's made of hardened steel. http://store.guitarfetish.com/nehedudulofl.html

Maybe you should, it says (unless of course GFS are lying) that it's made of hardened steel. http://store.guitarfetish.com/nehedudulofl.html

Of course it's not cast iron, it would fall apart.

All the different Floyds on the market that people hate or love are from hardened steel (except the block can be made from other materials both to improve sound or to lower cost).

It can still be complete garbage. both functionality wise and sound wise.

What I want to know is what is the difference between the ORIGINAL Floyd Rose and the Schaller Floyd Rose, as BOTH are made by Schaller. The Original Floyd Rose is made by Schaller in Germany, and is supposed to be better quality than the one made by Ping...

GoDrex said:
Looks like the Gotoh is about $100 cheaper.

ya but i think the OFR is easier to work with personally,and i like the way they look better.and they stay in tune alot more than the gotoh

Back