Gotoh Floyd Rose?

Wana_make_a_guitar

I've seen these on a website that is from a company in AUS, and was wondering, are they the same size as an Original FR, do they fit in a Recessed FR rout (main question)? Do they work the same? Are they better, the same or worse?

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
DocNrock said:
I have heard very good things about them, but have not tried one myself. 
Damn, i'd like to think they would fit in a OFR rout.

I think they do.  I was going to order one once, but they only come with a 41mm sustain block.  The OFR for recessed applications uses a 37mm.  The guy I talked to didn't know if the shorter Floyd block would mount on the Gotoh trem, so I once again went with an OFR.

I've been trying to find out the exact same thing, do they fit in a original floyd route? No-one seems to know, I've just ordered a floyd off of Warmoth about half an hour ago. I'm thinking of getting a gotoh as well just to just to use the locking studs and the arm holder, best of both worlds.

It is a direct replacment for a floyd but if it is recessed into the body you will have to check the rout clearance. The gotoh will fit on the studs nut it differs slightly in outside dimentions so in may not fit perfectly in a reacesed rout. Depending on how close the rout is to the body of the floyd, this may vary from a possible no fit(slight adjustments to the rout needed) to a slight inbalance in the gap around the floyd. There is an issue with the string lock bolts. They are a lot longer and when intonated properly would extend beyond the recess. This can be fixed by fitting a set of replacements from allparts or you can use the ones from a OFR.

Kostas said:
It is a direct replacment for a floyd but if it is recessed into the body you will have to check the rout clearance. The gotoh will fit on the studs nut it differs slightly in outside dimentions so in may not fit perfectly in a reacesed rout. Depending on how close the rout is to the body of the floyd, this may vary from a possible no fit(slight adjustments to the rout needed) to a slight inbalance in the gap around the floyd. There is an issue with the string lock bolts. They are a lot longer and when intonated properly would extend beyond the recess. This can be fixed by fitting a set of replacements from allparts or you can use the ones from a OFR.
alright cool.

"Read My Feedback!  Players absolutely LOVE these bridges!  This bridge was designed as a direct replacement for the "Original" Floyd Rose (OFR) and similar bridges.  Some parts included with the kit may not be necessary for use on guitars already equipped with a Floyd Rose or "licensed" Floyd Rose type bridge.  If you are looking for a tremolo system that will out-perform any other....BID NOW!"

exerpt from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-FLOYD-ROSE-by-GOTOH-COMPLETE-TREMOLO-CHROME_W0QQitemZ170258433399QQihZ007QQcategoryZ41407QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

One, can only hope, i'm going to go the safe way because i can't 'Try before i buy'

Bu then again, the page does look very tempting

I am having similar concerns - and thought "rather than start a thread,  why not resurrect one of the same topic?"

I already have the Gotoh floyd.  I'm going to install it on the next build.  It kind of looks like it should be a flush mount - because of the 42mm block.

Observations I have made: The gotoh should fit in a schaller route.  The saddle is longer and squared off in the bottom corners (towards fine tuners)  Therefor,  it will not fit a standard floyd route.

I would be interested in installing it recessed - especially not being limited to "dive only."  Does anyone know...  will it fit the schaller route?  What about the route going through the body?  will the sustain block bind up there when you dive radical?

Well I just dropped it into the warmoth routed OFR route, fits perfectly, but the studs that come with it are way to big, so use OFR studs,  and the nut that comes with it is 1 3/4" .

Okay just gonna ask this one: which is better the original or the gotoh? cause I just bought the OFR thinking it was like the best.

-FenderMan- said:
Okay just gonna ask this one: which is better the original or the gotoh? cause I just bought the OFR thinking it was like the best.
Well, i haven't installed mine yet, and you could be right, the OFR may be the best. It's up to you though. The Schaller, Original and the gotoh are made differently weather it be a different company or different materials.

Well I just dropped it into the warmoth routed OFR route, fits perfectly, but the studs that come with it are way to big, so use OFR studs,  and the nut that comes with it is 1 3/4" .

Do you know if the Gotoh studs will fit the OFR's inserts? Guitarpartsdepot.com sells 'em for like $2 USD.

DanDeTora said:

Do you know if the Gotoh studs will fit the OFR's inserts? Guitarpartsdepot.com sells 'em for like $2 USD.
Wait, do you mean will the gotoh studs fit in the OFR stud holes In The Guitar, because they do not fit there, or the bridge it self i don't know.

DanDeTora said:

Wait, do you mean will the gotoh studs fit in the OFR stud holes In The Guitar, because they do not fit there, or the bridge it self i don't know.

Let me clarify: You said the Gotoh's stud inserts are too large for the OFR stud insert routing, correct? What I was thinking, simply buy OFR stud inserts here...

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Floyd_Rose_Bridge_Parts-Floyd_Rose_Bridge_Mounting_Stud_Inserts_set_of_two.html

...and install them in the routed holes. My question is do the Gotoh's studs fit into the OFR stud inserts. Otherwise, one would have to buy OFR studs as well.

DanDeTora said:
DanDeTora said:

Let me clarify: You said the Gotoh's stud inserts are too large for the OFR stud insert routing, correct? What I was thinking, simply buy OFR stud inserts here...

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Floyd_Rose_Bridge_Parts-Floyd_Rose_Bridge_Mounting_Stud_Inserts_set_of_two.html

...and install them in the routed holes. My question is do the Gotoh's studs fit into the OFR stud inserts. Otherwise, one would have to buy OFR studs as well.
Goto stud inserts do not fit onto the OFR stud insert holes. So I bought them at warmoth for $13 which i'm now bummed about because i could of saved $11!

Here I was just wondering around about this in another thread - so,  essentially,  I could either use OFR studs instead of gotoh.  Or,  drill the holes out that little bit for the OFR studs?

-FenderMan- said:
Well, i haven't installed mine yet, and you could be right, the OFR may be the best. It's up to you though. The Schaller, Original and the gotoh are made differently weather it be a different company or different materials.
Do you have it installed by now ? Does it fit ? Are you using it recessed, and if yes, how about the sustain block ? Would it be possible to exchange the block (thinking Floydupgrades for that) ?

I have 2 Gotoh FRs in two Warmoth recessed OFR routes, and no problems.

Since they are direct replacement, if you are going to have a body built or get a Showcase with the bridge choice, I would recommend buying the OFR studs from W and paying W to install them. It's just easier, and I know they do a better job drilling bridge posts than I can.

Just my .02

Back