Got the itch that has to be scratched....

jackthehack

Epic Member
Need another project..... Between the continuing wait on the wenge/ebony neck and Rio Grande TX BBQ set in gold to finish the VIP project (BTW, anyone else experience any issues trying to order direct from them at list price???) it may be next month before all the pieces are finally assembled.... :(

I've been toying with the idea of building an LPS/SG Special in a Fender Tele/Strat form factor, i.e., use mahogany body/neck rosewood fretboard, P90s/electronics in a Tele/Strat style.

There's a Tele Thinline neck/body combo that would work on the Showcase, but it's not rear routed and already drilled for a Tele bridge. Do I really lose enough of the vibe if I have the rear pickup routed to humbucker and use a Rio Grande Fat Bastard in one of the Gotoh Tele humbucker bridges over using a Gotoh 510 or BadAss bridge?

Don't want to order and wait, and as I was going to finish this like an early 60s Melody Maker/LPS/SG Special in either walnut or cherry (haven't made up mind, leaning towards walnut) I don't think it's feasible to fill in the current Tele bridge route and re-route for a stop bridge without the fill work showing through the finish.

Peanut Gallery??? :icon_scratch:

Brotha, when all else fails, the guaranteed fix is just build another Tele.

You cannot have too many.  Put in different pickups - HB bridge, P90 neck.  Go for something not so out of the world on wood - mahogany body maybe, or ash.. mahogany neck if they have one ready to go.  Do that, be done, be happy, be Tele'd.

Pulled the trigger, ordered a Thinline mahogany on mahogany body routed for P90/Humbucker and a mahogany/ebony Strat neck; going a Rio Grande Bluesbar in neck and a Fat Bastard in bridge, now I'll have to make up my mind as to doing the finish in LP/SG Special cherry or walnut...

I Love the cherry.  I looked at four cherry SG's before I bought mine looking for the darkest, least red.  Anyway, I vote cherry!

Won't be much to see but raw mahogany when it gets here; CB sent me some leftover Mohawk toner, so I'll be attempting my first burst-type finish... If this works out the next project may be a "'57 Goldtop" Strat.....

is it just me, or does the warmoth goldtop gold paint look nithing like the gibson goldtop paint?

warmoth "goldtop gold"    http://www.warmoth.com/paint/paint.cfm?fuseaction-metallic_goldtopgold

gibson goltop (the real thing)
2000_Gibson_Les_Paul_Goldtop_'57_Reissue_701150.jpg

tell you the truth, warmoth's candy yellow bears a better resemblence....http://www.warmoth.com/paint/paint.cfm?fuseaction-candy_yellow

just noticing. maybe they should rename the colors, or maybe each paintjob is so unique that the sample picture looks nothing like the real guitar. I dunno, just making an observation.

For that future project I'll be spraying the top with ReRanch Gibson Gold Top repro paint, so it would be more that shade...

Music Man 91 said:
is it just me, or does the warmoth goldtop gold paint look nithing like the gibson goldtop paint?

warmoth "goldtop gold"    http://www.warmoth.com/paint/paint.cfm?fuseaction-metallic_goldtopgold

gibson goltop (the real thing)
2000_Gibson_Les_Paul_Goldtop_'57_Reissue_701150.jpg

tell you the truth, warmoth's candy yellow bears a better resemblence....http://www.warmoth.com/paint/paint.cfm?fuseaction-candy_yellow

just noticing. maybe they should rename the colors, or maybe each paintjob is so unique that the sample picture looks nothing like the real guitar. I dunno, just making an observation.

I think it does look like the Gold Top colour. Maybe just me. Gibbo gold top's vary quite a bit too.

I owned a Gibby Gold top and been around a lot of them over time and it is true, they vary between each other and then again with age. Seeing the Warmoth Gold Top Gold up close, I think its about as close to average as you're going to get.

With everyone looking at a different monitor and all the pictures taken with different cameras in different light, it's pretty hard to see accurate hue differences. Usually though, I could comment on the Warmoth Gold Top Gold being a tad too green or yellow, but I think they got it in the zone, at least from my own experience.

Yeah, the color that I think most people associate with Gibson Goldtop is from the late '50s; those were nitro finishes and have aged/changed over time, didn't look exactly that color when new; now the typical application is using color to recreate the aged, rather than original color.

Back