Goncalo Alves CBS SS6100, 1st time buyer, 1st project Jazzmaster

Done!

It sounds amazing...I took a leap with the pickups but everyone was right...butter.  The neck feels amazing!  Really fast and the wood is so dense and the tone is to die for...and the suuuuuuuuuuuuustain is absolutely bonkers! I'm running hybrid set Ernie Ball 10-52.  The neck is not 'sticky' at all, it feels velvety.  My first time playing SS frets and it's pretty great too. I'm running it through my Fender Vaporizer with some extra effects, Holy Grail Reverb and Line-6 Echo Park and it is absolutely the tone I've been dreaming about for years and that no Virtual rig has been able to give me.  I'm really happy with this build and the incredible neck...I mean it really is all about the neck.  The GFS body is pretty nice, not perfect though, but really damn nice.  The clear coat is very thin and I had to drill the bridge holes and Pickguard holes as you can see on page one; very nerve racking.  I think next build I'll go Warmoth body too because drilling those bridge pin holes nearly gave me a heart attack. 

Attachments

• 20190531_212547_resized.jpg
    20190531_212547_resized.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 213
  • 20190531_212757_resized_1.jpg
    20190531_212757_resized_1.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 197
Love the magnets on the backplate. I’ve been thinking on doing that for a pickguard.

Logrinn said:
Love the magnets on the backplate. I’ve been thinking on doing that for a pickguard.

I saw some examples before I did it and it's tricky working with superglue and magnets.  My advice on this is:
Use plastic tools to handle the magnets
Place one magnet at a time and let dry before doing the next one.
Make sure all your electronics and any metal bits are nowhere near.
Tape off the body and drill the holes, then fill with superglue and place magnet.  Remove tape.  Simple as that but goddam nerve racking

Back