Goncalo Alves CBS SS6100, 1st time buyer, 1st project Jazzmaster

So my "Bender Fender" is coming together and Futurama theme is starting.  Lasers are cool.  The pickguard in this photo will be an overlay for my current pickguard, the Mosrite style one is still in the works.

Attachments

• 2ndmockup.jpg
    2ndmockup.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 262
  • futuramalocks.jpg
    futuramalocks.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 242
Frankentele said:
Wow, that grain is beautiful!!  How does goncalo alves feel?
Absolutely love the character portraits on the tuner lock knobs! Brilliant!  :headbang:

Things are going really slow, especially with Mother's Dand my sons birthday.  Also, finally got the correct wood for the pickguard but here is where I am:

Attachments

• tigerwood1.jpg
    tigerwood1.jpg
    892.2 KB · Views: 208
  • tigerwood vs walnut.jpg
    tigerwood vs walnut.jpg
    827.6 KB · Views: 219
  • frets.jpg
    frets.jpg
    930.5 KB · Views: 213
Those two woods really look good together. They'll make a beautiful guitar.

Ok, so Tigerwood is a very hard wood.  Hard to lasercut any thicker than this that's for sure.  There was a lot of work involved to get to this point.  I still have to drill the holes out and epoxy underneath the middle section for strength, then gun oil the whole thing to match the neck.  As you can see, the grains are a beautiful match.

Attachments

• IMG_20190518_211601_791.jpg
    IMG_20190518_211601_791.jpg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 199
You'll wanna be careful putting those magnets so close to Bender or you'll only be able to play folk.

Thought I'd add.... Very nice looking neck.  Hope my own goncalo neck looks as nice.  Should be another two to three weeks.  :(

Getting closer and closer.  Here it is before and after a coat of Tru-Oil.  Looks much closer to the neck color.  As you can see, the pickguard is not bolted on yet.  I still have to solder things up and perform a setup.  As it is though, I'm very happy with how things are coming out and that my ideas seem to work.  So far, the most nerve racking thing is drilling holes in the body and the pickguard...well mostly the pickguard because Goncalo Alves is a very hard wood and when it's this thin, it can be pretty brittle.  The pickguard is still thicker than your average one and it feels very sturdy especially with the reinforcement I added to the backside as seen in the blurry pic.  I'll be sure to finish this up for June and take some much nicer pictures.

Attachments

• Tru-Oiled Bender Fender.jpg
    Tru-Oiled Bender Fender.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 224
  • Pickguard Backside.jpg
    Pickguard Backside.jpg
    826.9 KB · Views: 214
That is truly outstanding. I really like the way the PG matches the neck wood with the tru-oil on it.

I showed it to my wife and she said, "Oh, WOW!" That's the finest compliment she can give.

Back