Gold Strings?

mrpinter

This was my big NAMM discovery. I came across a small booth in Hall E and saw "German" and "Guitar Strings"... and that stopped me so I talked with them. The top guy from Optima Musiksaiten was there, a very nice man named Andre, and he gave me several sets of strings to try. This company used to be called Maxima a while ago, and I would see their ads for gold strings and think "gimmick!" They're actually gold plated with 24 carat gold - both the plain strings and the windings on the wound strings. I had three guitar set up for them, and I have to say I'm awestruck. Their acoustic set just made my John David Scott custom OM come alive, and it was the same thing with the electrics. It's hard to describe something so subjective as tone, but these sound huge... with very clear piano like bass notes, and beautiful sparkly overtones and a nice warm sound - although the electrics can rock like mad. Here they are on my acoustic:

optimastringsonJDS.jpg

and on my 7/8 Warmoth S:

optimestringson7-82.jpg

They work. Its just an expensive anti corrosion coating. YMMV depending on whether your sweat requires warning labrls, eating burritos during practice,  plectrum choice and playing style.

I like stainless for a bright string that has excellent life and I think its a bit more abuse resistant than gold or polymer coatings. Particularly if you're prone to using metal or stone picks.

Steel wool jizz on your pickups? Bad dog. BAD DOG! Where's my gun? And why aren't those frets dressed? You oughta be ashamed! Send that little rascal here, and I'll give it the loving it needs and deserves. Plus, I'd like to hear what a millionth of an inch of gold does to strings.

COuld very well be that the millionth of an inch of gold happens to be wrapped around some otherwise very high quality strings in their own right.

Good point.

I'm one of those Weird Harolds who changes his strings at a pretty good clip, though. Buy 'em by the 10-pack. Hate old strings. Eric Johnson may be able to hear an old battery, but I can hear an old string from a mile away.

Bagman67 said:
COuld very well be that the millionth of an inch of gold happens to be wrapped around some otherwise very high quality strings in their own right.

Thank you, Bagman! They are high quality strings. I was also given a set of their pure nickel flat wound jazz strings - which do not have the gold plating, and they are nice strings too. A question I have for them is why do they use 24 carat instead of something like 18 carat gold (which is less pure but harder). But they are serious strings... and having been in the business (I used to work for Thomastik-Infeld in artist relations and advertising... can I say that?) I am a better judge of product than I am a player.

croquet hoop said:
mrpinter said:
You guys seem to be missing the point. They *sound* awesome.

You seem to be missing the point. Nobody wanted to enter the dreaded "tone" debate  :icon_biggrin:

There is no tone debate. He didn't ask anyone what their thoughts were. He is just sharing his experience  using these strings in an A/B trial on the same guitars that he has used regular strings. If he notices a difference and that difference is worth the added expense for these strings then so be it. Thank you for the review mrpinter

How did you like the flatwounds? I keep on thinking of trying some and am looking for a good set. I seem to like thicker gauges. 

Well, it should be pretty obvious that that millionth of an inch of gold doesn't do anything for tone, but like Bagman said, it doesn't mean that the rest of it isn't spectacular. If you make a good string, it will sound nice with a millionth of an inch of anything on it. Gold just happens to have some desirable properties, such as being an inert metal, looking pretty, and having a connotation of wealth and luxury. In my book, it all comes down to price. I would rock these strings if they were affordable. Mr. Pinter, would you care to share the price of a set?

mrpinter said:
A question I have for them is why do they use 24 carat instead of something like 18 carat gold (which is less pure but harder).

My guess is that the purity of the gold is a selling point.

I'm planning a Strat with gold frets and hardware (including gold plated polepieces on the single coil pickups); it would only seem right to use gold strings.

line6man said:
In my book, it all comes down to price. I would rock these strings if they were affordable. Mr. Pinter, would you care to share the price of a set?

Compared to the "standard issue" sets most people are used to, these things are expensive. But what I'm used to paying and my reference point for my string prices is Thomastik-Infeld, and they are comparable in price. The electric sets are a bit less than the T-I's, and the gold plated acoustic sets a hair more (street prices from Strings By Mail).  This puts the gold electric sets at about $20, and acoustic gold at about $24. I've paid those prices for Thomastiks because they sound better to me than anything else (until now) and they really do last a very long time. With the gold plating being inert, as you said, and preventing any kind of corrosion, I am expecting the Optimas to last a long time as well. But for me the big selling point is the tone.

mrpinter said:
line6man said:
In my book, it all comes down to price. I would rock these strings if they were affordable. Mr. Pinter, would you care to share the price of a set?

Compared to the "standard issue" sets most people are used to, these things are expensive. But what I'm used to paying and my reference point for my string prices is Thomastik-Infeld, and they are comparable in price. The electric sets are a bit less than the T-I's, and the gold plated acoustic sets a hair more (street prices from Strings By Mail).  This puts the gold electric sets at about $20, and acoustic gold at about $24. I've paid those prices for Thomastiks because they sound better to me than anything else (until now) and they really do last a very long time. With the gold plating being inert, as you said, and preventing any kind of corrosion, I am expecting the Optimas to last a long time as well. But for me the big selling point is the tone.

That's not a bad price. Maybe get it down to $15, but it's reasonable enough.

Brian May is an old time user of theses strings...

I personally like it cause the sound is full and not varying too much over the time, and are very long lasting.

I prefer these than "elixir" type of strings... 

In Europe theses strings are not too expensive (12€ a set) and it definitively a good choice with gold hardware.

Anyway I use 90% of the time D'Addario XL strings... and sometimes theses Optima Gold  :icon_thumright:

I used them under the former Maxima name, Frank Zappa was an endorser back in the day . These were the best strings I ever played , and I've tried everything.  They resist corrosion very well . Pricey ..hell yes .. worth it .. to me yes indeed .  I'm putting a set on my Jaros as soon as it's time.

Sceptical as I am, I included a set with my current bulk order. We'll see how magical they are. Better make me breakfast in bed for $20 a set  :icon_biggrin:

Back