Gold Frets on a Custom Variax w/video

Hey Rose!

Great work, I was actually following along on your site the whole time you built the thing.  Gave me a lot of help learning about my own builds.  I'm not a big Variax fan but that doesn't mean this monster you've created isn't a work of art.  I really like the magnetic covers and the built in wireless.  amazing idea.  Makes me think that I can do anything when i build my axe.  I love the Nylon Tele btw.

Cheers!

That has to be the ultimate studio guitar.

Do you still have a 1/4 jack in case the battery dies in the wireless?

What kind of Wireless unit is it?  Did you just gut the transmitter to install it in the guitar?

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
That has to be the ultimate studio guitar.

Do you still have a 1/4 jack in case the battery dies in the wireless?

What kind of Wireless unit is it?  Did you just gut the transmitter to install it in the guitar?

I probably won't use this much in the studio, because I have a lot of other guitars (strat, tele, Carvin Acoustic, ES335...etc...etc) that actually sound better then the Vax emulations for the studio, but for live to just flip a knob and have that different guitar is where this one will shine for me. However if I didn't have all the other guitars this would be a monster in the studio.

Yes the 1/4" jack is still on the side of the guitar. When you plug into it, it switches off the wireless and switches on the variax and the sustaniac regardless of the mini toggle positions.

Yes I gutted the Audio Technica Digital reference DR2 transmitter to install it.

DR2.jpg

I think Im gonna gut my MP3 player and stick it in mine, then I will sound exactly like the record everytime!!!!! hhehehehehhheheehehe :icon_jokercolor:

Just teasing .............

That is a really Cool guitar Midirose,..... I can't wait to se what you come up with in the future......... :icon_scratch: :)

And while we are gushing over this thing...even the photographs are really good.  Guitars are hard to photograph and these are really exceptional pics. 

Is It too late to add one more, "Holy Crap"?
Awesome,

Now for the dumb question of the day, In a nutshell. What is a variax, I know , obviously that beautifull thing from Midirose, But whats all the electronics do?

Everything.................and ....................Everything................... :laughing7:

That thing "IS" amazing!!!!!!!!!!

OK Superbeast520  that certainly was the nutshell version, maybe step outside the shell a bit,,,,,,,

Hey Man thats Midi's hand of god creation, only he knows what it all does, have to get him to answer that, but from what I do know, is it does Everything............hahahahahahahhaahha :laughing11:

A Variax is from line 6, warmoth actually offers transplant bodies for them, they're kind of fugly guitars if you ask me.

Like everything from line 6 they're for modelling.  I played around on one for a few hours at the music store after I fround Rose's site.  Theres a knob on it that you turn to whatever style guitar you want to make it sound like. The 5 way switch isn't like a traditional 5 way in a strat, its really just different presets for each "guitar" inside the thing.  The "Swank" model was pretty good, supposed to be a strat and I think they nailed it.  Theres also Telecaster and LP and Sitar and some other funky stuff in there.

I'm not a modelling fan but it seems to be a pretty versatile guitar for people who are into that kind of thing.  I suppose if you put a sustianic and 3 sincle coils and a Roland GK in it like Rose did you could pretty much never worry about buying another guitar again because it will sound like anything and everything you could ever want in a guitar lol.

The Variax is a modeling guitar. You turn a knob on the guitar and it models a old classic guitars sound. Line6 took certain old guitars played them and created algorythms that are used to make their guitar emulate these other guitars. Here is a jpeg of the guitars that the Variax models.  I will shoot a video this weekend of the capabilities and post it here.

VariaxPoster.jpg

Gee Wiz Midi, It seems pretty limited..................heheheehheheehahahahaahhahahhehehehehehhahahahahahaah :laughing7:

Alfang said:
Is It too late to add one more, "Holy Crap"?
Awesome,

Now for the dumb question of the day, In a nutshell. What is a variax, I know , obviously that beautifull thing from Midirose, But whats all the electronics do?

Here are videos of some of the Variax capabilities. The 1st video is a full length medium resolution high fidelity video (75mb). The second video is a edited version (for length) of the first one with low quality video and audio (15mb)

http://www.exit45.com/video/VaxCV5DemLarge.mov

http://www.exit45.com/video/VaxCV5DemSmall.mov

Hey Midirose, nice guitar...very nice.

I was wondering if you (or Jeff Miller) have wiring diagrams for your Variax/passive hybrid guitars, and would you be willing to share them with  us?  :toothy11:

Putting them up at your very helpful "Tips Tricks & Processes" webpage ( http://www.exit45.com/RoseHowTo.htm ) would be great.

So, Midirose.

As I view the vid, I have a couple of questions.

1) How were you able to successfully wire up the variax functions to route to the wireless? 
My understanding is that the variax function uses the Line 6 Ethernet cable & their 1/4" output from their guitars is a piezo only output.

2) Can you explain further how you also got the sustainer to work with the Variax functions?  My understanding of the sustainer technology is that it creates a feedback loop between the magnetic pickups and the sustainer in order to keep the vibration of the strings continuously.

Wow,

I'm preparing to do my first Warmoth guitar...  a Variax 300 Stratocaster.

This guitar you've built is truly amazing; although I think it requires a PHD to operate.

You certainly have giving me some ideas to contemplate.

Regards,

Steve

Holy Shamoly!  :blob7:

This guitar is extraordinary!!

Very beautiful, i normally don't like extensive (expensive) inlays in a fretboard, but your rose is beautifully painted and crafted!

congratulations on this mighty fine build!  :eek:ccasion14:

What the...      This is just a forum for simple-minded bolt-on people. This is way too intense for us!
:binkybaby:

:sign13:
Now ignore what I just said and keep them coming!!!!!

Back