Going to Germany for 3 months!

crash

The company I work for needed an engineer to work in our German office for a couple of months.  Since I have no wife/kids/dog, I volunteered.  I leave July 8th and will be working in Kaufbeuren, which is outside Munich, Germany.  I will be staying there until the beginning of October.

So I am wondering what are some cool things to see or do in Europe when I am there?  I plan seeing the usual: Paris, Prague, Vienna, etc.  Just wondering if there are any festivals, concerts, or other things that the normal tourist wouldn't usually see. 

I do plan on going to Normandy and spending a day at the Nurburgring (got the GoPro camera for that
smileys-car-driving-695389.gif
)

I will post drunken updates throughout the summer.

That is awesome, I think you will love Bavaria. My recommendation to you is to go to Andechs. It's a beautiful little town that really encompasses Bavaria, in my opinion. It's a quick train ride from Munich and you get off at the Hersching stop. Also, The Eagle's Nest is worth a visit, if you're into historical stuff. Salzburg is also only about a two hour drive and a pretty cool place to visit. I can recommend a nice hotel that is reasonably priced if you'd like.  :eek:ccasion14: Ich libe Deutschland!

Cool, I think you'll love it here. I am in Munich, myself.

There is A LOT to do and see here. The alps are really close. There are beautiful lakes all around.
Andechs is certainly worth a visit. Good beer there. But it's not exactly off the beaten track.

Maybe check out the smaller beer fests. There are plenty here in summer and much nicer (and cheaper) than the big ole Oktoberfest.

If you like rock music, check out the "Backstage" and the "Feierwerk" in Munich, both very cool clubs with a lot of live music and cool bands.

I will think of some more. Or let me know what you are interested in. Maybe I could be of some help.  :eek:ccasion14:

That would be pretty awesome, I'd love to go to Germany. The company i work for was looking for some of us to go to Afghanistan for a bit, I said no way in hell. But I'd go to Germany in a flash.

DangerousR6 said:
That would be pretty awesome, I'd love to go to Germany. The company i work for was looking for some of us to go to Afghanistan for a bit, I said no way in hell. But I'd go to Germany in a flash.

Good money there, though.

Definitely check out Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. Spectacular views and history there. There are many great castles to explore.

Every time I'm over in Germany I try to see a game or two. Bayern will just be starting the season in August and September.

If you can make it to Stuttgart, the Porsche and Mercedes Benz museums are definitely worth the trip.

Also recommend the Hangar 7 Aircraft museum in Austria if you can. Pretty amazing, it's a private collection of aircraft and race cars.

Thanks for the replies guys!  I have this thread bookmarked so I can check out your suggestions.

JCizzle, please let me know what hotel.  I'll plan on stopping in Salzburg on my way to Vienna.

crash said:
Thanks for the replies guys!  I have this thread bookmarked so I can check out your suggestions.

JCizzle, please let me know what hotel.  I'll plan on stopping in Salzburg on my way to Vienna.
You mean Hostel... :icon_biggrin:

I spent most of my summer vacations in southern Germany and Austria as a child..
in addition to what everybody else said, make sure to check out all the lakes (mondsee, attersee etc) south of Salzburg. The Black Forest is not too far (to the west) either.. if you pass through on your way to France, make sure to stop for a hike in the "wutachschlucht" - one of the best hikes I ever did!!

Neuschwanstein is nice, but was a bit too "Disneyland" for me.. there are lots of real medieval castles around that are a lot more authentic and exiting!

DangerousR6 said:
crash said:

You mean Hostel... :icon_biggrin:

Haha, Salzburg doesn't get down like that, more of a "mature" town.  :laughing7:

crash said:

It's called Lasserhoff and it's just enough away from city center to save quite a bit of money but close enough to where you can walk there easily. English friendly and they have WiFi, etc.

Marko said:
Neuschwanstein is nice, but was a bit too "Disneyland" for me.. there are lots of real medieval castles around that are a lot more authentic and exiting!

Ha! Totally true, especially given Wilem's passion for Wagnerian opera. But, when you're from the States and don't have any of the history or the depth of the culture that goes along with it, the Wow Factor is huge.

I actually enjoyed Ludwigsburg much more than Neuschwanstein because the tour was much more extensive and they had far more of the grounds open to explore. Very cool stuff either way.

Back