Gilmour Tribute Strat

Cymbaline

I posted some of these in another thread, but I thought I'd show it off here as well.

100_0693.jpg

BlackStratfullshot640.jpg

BlackStratbodyangle2640.jpg

BlackStratHeadstock640.jpg

BlackStratbackofneck3640.jpg

The body is an MIJ '57 reissue from reliablefender on ebay.  Warmoth neck, standard thin, jumbo stainless steel frets, Schaller locking tuners. I finished the neck in Tru-Oil, about 12 coats.
EMG DG-20 pickups that I salvaged from my other Strat and replaced with Seymour Duncans.  Callaham Vintage tremelo with shortened arm.

This is my first guitar build.  Maybe one day I'll be able to afford another.

That's awesome man.  I think I'm gonna shorten the vibrato arm on my new strat as well.  Should make it a bit harder to go overboard on the vibrato use  :laughing7:

That's sweet, Gilmore is bad ass, should get like some custom PF airbrush on it. Not nothing huge, just a 'lil something.... :icon_thumright:

It seems the black strat has been a fetish for many guitarists around the world. There is a release of a book for this guitar!

I also like this the looks of this guitar and I have thought many times of assembling a black W strat. I would make some things different than yours: Passive pickups (Kinman), vintage tint maple neck, bone nut.

Enjoy your guitar :icon_thumright:

very nice.. i was going to do also a gilmourish strat, but ended up with something slightly different.  :headbang:

Hey Cymbaline,
                          Are your tuners the Schaller locking minis?

I am deciding between the 'Minis',  and the Schaller regular sized locking tuners w/staggered posts.

Any thoughts/opinions would be helpful...

Nice guitar, btw
A photo of mine....

Thanks

Zionplayer said:
Hey Cymbaline,
                          Are your tuners the Schaller locking minis?

I am deciding between the 'Minis',  and the Schaller regular sized locking tuners w/staggered posts.

Any thoughts/opinions would be helpful...

Nice guitar, btw
A photo of mine....

Thanks

Yes, they're the Schaller Mini locking.  Item #SMLC.  The posts are not staggered.  I asked Rob @ Warmoth about that, since I had heard they're supposed to be staggered.  But these have the hole near the bottom of the post, so there's no need for them to be staggered.

Man!  That Strat body of yours is fantastic!  Is that all one piece?

It plays OK but it needs a fret leveling.  The 13th fret is high on the treble side, so the E on the 12th fret is dead.  I've been playing the crap out of it for the past few weeks.  I just play around that one note.  :icon_smile:

I plan to take it to a good luthier here in Austin, after a decent fret level it should be killer!

Hey Cymbaline, don't know if you get Guitar Worl mag or not, but there is a sweet artical on Gilmore and his Black Strat. With a little bit of history on it and what it looks like today....
2460290849_c99c2f7369.jpg

Also a book for this guitar: http://www.theblackstrat.com/The_Black_Strat-home...html

As much as I like new ideas as well...a cool black strat still kicks!

Especially when watching Live AT Pompeii.
:glasses10:

Does anyone know where you can buy a shortened trem arm?

Or do you have to get a standard one shortened? If that is so, how is it done? :icon_scratch:

Many thanx for any info that can be provided.

Back