Gibson SG-X Finished

Jasonn

i know its been a long time since i posted anything on here for any of you but i finished the guitar about 2 months ago and couldn't be happier with how things turned out.  keep in mind this was my first build ever.  it was a lot easier thanks to this and the re ranch forums.

1.5" mahogany body
mahogany/rosewood 24 fret neck with 6130 frets
TOM bridge and tail piece
Gotoh tuners
black speed knobs
cts500K pots
mini switch for coil tap
Seymour Duncan JB bridge pickup
.047 capacitor from warmoth
Switchcraft input jack. 
white pearloid pick guard off of eBay. 

1pgnb5.jpg

33mbg9w.jpg

nxlzrl.jpg

jqtibt.jpg

257ma74.jpg

let me know if you have any questions or advice on things you guys thing i could change on it to make things even better. 
and yes i know the wiring is horrible it was my second attempt at soldering i did horrible the first time and actually melted the ceramic disc inside but all is well now and everything works.

The color is awesome and that pickguard is pretty unique.  I'd say all in all it's a pretty sweet build.  :icon_thumright:

Great guitar - I love the color!

For future builds, make a piece of cardboard with the control/output holes in the same place as on the guitar.  Attach the pots, jack, and switch to the cardboard and solder everything up there.  Afterwards transfer the whole assembly to the guitar and then attach the pickup leads.  You'll have extra room and will avoid those nasty burn marks.  You'll probably want to get some practice time with the iron as well.

Wow that turned out beautifully! I remember a while ago we might have been critical of your design but that looks like a rockin axe in the end.
Suggestion: you may want to go to radio shack and get a green cap for about $1 to upgrade the little pill cap you've got in there - may make a small difference, and can't hoit. Looks like candy = good, looks like medicine = bad for caps.

I will never buy or build another SG because I prefer the neck not hitting the floor, but that is one awesome looking guitar. I've really grown to love light blue guitars that only real men can play. Nice work!

that cardboard would of been a great idea beforehand.  i burned all that and was so mad at myself and after i destroyed the first two pots i actually did make a template type thing to solder everything up on.  oh well i guess what can you do its too late now. 

haha i do remember most of all the comments having a slight negative side to them before the build and almost made me rethink things and im glad i didn't  and its nice to hear all the positive feedback now that the whole project is done. 

i did listen to a couple things that people mentioned but one thing i would have done if i could have afforded it was get a nailbomb pickup off the bare knuckles site.  but thats way too much money for me maybe somewhere down the line. 

i saw those radioshack caps but was skeptical about buying them i found the same ones in my yamaha sg and it sounds fine but i didnt really know much about them or how much difference it would make. 
what do you think of them?

What body is that? Is that a warmoth body? Why are there not the regular 4holes? Sorry for all my questionS, i just LOVEEE what you did!

Very nice! I love SGs and you made my favorite version. 1.5" thick, one humbucker. We need to see more of them here. Makes a nice break from all the Strats, Teles and VIPs.

Jasonn said:
i saw those radioshack caps but was skeptical about buying them i found the same ones in my yamaha sg and it sounds fine but i didnt really know much about them or how much difference it would make. 

Doesn't make a lick of difference. The idea that it does is an urban myth. The little ceramic parts are not only perfect, they're cheap, sturdy and reliable. If you start building computers, cellphones, radar guns, etc., then you might want to consider capacitor construction. But for guitar? Phbbt. Even at their highest, harmonics and all, the frequencies and levels you're dealing with are far too low for capacitor packaging or materials choice to have any efffect.

Back