Gibson Scale Conversion Neck Question

Mjh36

Anyone with conversion necks, do you notice less G string warble as a result? One of the things I've read is that it's less prominent on 24.75" necks. Very interested in changing to a short scale. This would be for a soloist body.

I'm down for a change and dont mind a slinkier feel if I can lessen the warble. Any other insights would be welcome too. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

G string warble on Strats and the like is usually caused by for example the neck pickup being too high or magnet stagger not being flat enough for modern set ups. I would investigate that before changing the neck out.

Hey thanks and I'm a proud new Warmoth customer. It turned out great! Well except I may have goofed on the neck profile, 59 Roundback a little too chunky, should have stuck with Standard thin.

Anyways the whole reason I even got a new guitar was to hopefully get something different than my Fender to escape that problem. So I spec'd everything with different material/hardware. And the same "problem" persists.

I started a thread at Strat-Talk that goes into everything I've tried. I've spent hours and hours working on my Fender, you name it I tried it basically. Pickup heights, removing pickups, all types of setups high action, low action etc., new saddles, new bridge, I could keep going. I really think my ear is getting too picky, I can't unhear it at the moment.

The best success has been a Cool Rails in the neck and/or a wound 3rd string. But I can't do a would 3rd it feels wrong.

So since I think I'm going to have to order a different neck anyway, the short scale sounds enticing. I like the pros of a shorter scale anyway I just didn't think about trying that for my first Warmoth. Most reading I've seen mentions the shorter scale as not as problematic regarding that out-of-tuneness along the G string. I'm probably gonna go for it but also hoping to get some insight beforehand.

Perhaps also try lowering the cool rails a little.

No harm in trying a conversion neck if you have other reasons to do so. I also find the 59 for me a little too chunky, I had one on a Tele and sold it to a forum member Zebra who really likes it.

It may not be your guitars at all but other interference, start turning things off, fans, monitor, etc. Also, if the guitar has a trem cavity I'm a fan of the coated springs, or put foam in them or something so they don't vibrate. Overwhemingly the cause is pickup height but you've tried that.

Nope.  But don't notice it with fender necks.  So it's not your neck.

Well ordered the Gibson conversion neck. I think a little less finger stretching will be good for me anyway, I'm getting lazy. I'll report back in a while when I get to test it.

I def haven't noticed signif warbleage on my conversion strat neck, but heck if I remember whether or not it had any b4 I replaced the the OG neck. But my dawg, i dont know if I can go back to 25.5 after playing my conversion. it's got me hook, line and sphincter

Back