Gibson Guitar Company employee rating....

Having been in the computer/components/hardware/software/network/telecommunications biz since the early 80's, there's NOTHING in the world that can fudge a bidness or anything else up quicker/worse than a Harvard B-school/MBA. Dubya would be a prime example,,,

jackthehack said:
Having been in the computer/components/hardware/software/network/telecommunications biz since the early 80's, there's NOTHING in the world that can frick a bidness or anything else up quicker/worse than a Harvard B-school/MBA. Dubya would be a prime example,,,

That's what gets me, Jack. Those degrees are supposed to be an indicator of someone's intelligence and ability to get a grip on the subjects chosen, ie: management of people, economics and law as applied to a business. They should have failed at the theory if their mental aptitude was not good enough for the degree, and those degrees are flouted about to us 'workers', as some sort of secret society membership that unless you had a Daddy in the Oil business or in politics....oh wait  :doh: But you get my point though, Jack.

The idiots who were put there by their rich family to get some sort of educatin' in the family biz, should have flunked it if they had no grasp on the subjects in total and part of those studies include a fair portion of people management and human resources research.

The data is there for all to see that certain principles and practices in the workplace do not work. Proven time and again, but dictators like CEOs and their ultra conservative Boards just continue to ignore that stack of info UNTIL it starts affecting their bottom line.

Sorry for the rant, Jack, but I did some Human Resource Management study years ago, and was floored by the info available about how to make a workplace a lot better for employees (and it's not necessarily all about paying them more money either), and the productivity benefits that gives to a business in the long term. Obviously those that ignore this at the Board level, do so because they cannot see tangible results in their bottom line in the short term and so leave it to the next Board to deal with. Very short sighted, IMHO and bad for the business, in the long term.

Those that run a marque brand business like Gibson, should really be making considerable efforts to shore up it's long term viability more, by ensuring their employees stay longer and become pro-Gibson outside of work too. But instead the Board focuses on the next years' results only and looks at the current economic crisis but not about how things are going to look in 5 years time (and making preparations for that time), when  things might have completely turned around and folks ready to lay some serioous $$ down for a Gibson guitar of their dreams.

Will Gibson be even around by then? Less likely if Henry J. keeps running the place like it's a 'get the profit up, results today forget about tomorrow' business. And it doesn't cost anything to be nice to your workers either, at the most simplest level. Going around and smashing guitars that folks might have been working on for a while is one hell of a 'f**k you I'm in charge here' attitude to display to someone on your first day in charge.

> "there's NOTHING in the world that can frick a bidness or anything else up quicker/worse than a Harvard B-school/MBA."

I used to work with a couple of those, there's something about those schools that is able to remove any common sense the person may have begun life with, and replace it with complete and total tunnel-vision. They tend to pepper their speech with lots and lots of sports analogies, too. "Teamwork" seems to equal "Shut up, and do as I say." 

RLW said:
> "there's NOTHING in the world that can frick a bidness or anything else up quicker/worse than a Harvard B-school/MBA."

I used to work with a couple of those, there's something about those schools that is able to remove any common sense the person may have begun life with, and replace it with complete and total tunnel-vision. They tend to pepper their speech with lots and lots of sports analogies, too. "Teamwork" seems to equal "Shut up, and do as I say." 

Possibly because a lot of them were gangly uncoordinated  teenagers at college that got bashed around by the jocks, and now use the sports analogies because they realise that folks look up to sports people? :icon_biggrin: A lot of them look like business management was the only way they'd impress their parents with a proper job.

jackthehack said:
Having been in the computer/components/hardware/software/network/telecommunications biz since the early 80's, there's NOTHING in the world that can frick a bidness or anything else up quicker/worse than a Harvard B-school/MBA. Dubya would be a prime example,,,

The old adage: Those who can sell...sell. Those who can't...manage. I believe (with minor tweaking) that could apply in this case 
icon_rolleyes.gif

Gibson sucks.

Along what CB mentioned, if you gotta have a Gibson, but want a true Gibson, go Heritage.

OzziePete said:
Those degrees are supposed to be an indicator of someone's intelligence and ability to get a grip on the subjects chosen, ie: management of people,

I look at degrees as more of proof that one could "follow the specific program by jumping through the given hoops" (i.e. you've proven the ability to pay money to be someone's b!tch for x years) more than anything else... and definitely *never* as an indicator of someone's intelligence.

Can't learn how to manage people in school; either ya got it or ya don't - you can only *hone* your managerial talent (if'n ya gots it in the first place) in school.  Plus, handling people takes wisdom - yet another thing you can't learn in school; but only by life experience.

I have a Bachelor's, and while I don't feel any smarter for it and graduated with people that barely have the intelligence to cross the street or tie their shoes, a degree shows that you're trainable and can commit to finish something that you start.  If anything, college taught me how to please the boss.  Right answers weren't always what mattered, it was what the Prof. wanted to hear that mattered.  How are you going to argue with the guy that wrote the textbook the curricullum is over?  It is also a leg up on the competition.  All things being equal, if there are multiple applicants applying for the same position, some degreed and some not, who would you be more interested in?  Since graduating, I've had several what could've been career jobs.  For whatever reason they didn't all work out, and only one of those was in my field of study, but I guarantee my degree got me everyone of those jobs.  A degree will get you an interview and your foot in the door.  It's what you do afterwards that keeps you there.  Here's a misconception too.  I went on several interviews that went well, but ultimately, I had no, or very little, experience.  So experience w/out a degree, and a degree w/out experience are almost interchangeable.

Those that say degrees and grades don't matter usually, but not always, don't have a degree and had bad grades.  It's like when musicians say you don't need to learn theory, yet they know very little.  But hey, I love it when college enrollment and graduation rates go down because the world just got a little easier for me.

One problem is that many university programs are largely taught by people that are themselves academics and they don't deal in the real world. They push people through the programs, but they don't produce people with any real capabilities or experience. When I went to school for Graphic Design, some of my teachers were adjunct and were currently working as designers or owned design firms. They would teach what they had to, and then they would tell us how it really works. The teachers that were full-time just stuck to the curriculum and wouldn't let you stray from it - their advice turned out worthless when I hit the workplace.

Another problem is that a managerial function is touted as 'higher' than a purely technical one. So I have seen a former colleagues who was very competent in a technical position get convinced that he had to move up to a management position - where it turned out that his management skills were zero or slightly below that. It was a bit embarrasing to see him become unhappier by the day, and watch appreciation of him go down the drain because he really wasn't performing like he should have. Fortunately in the nick of time he was reintroduced in his former position, where he functioned perfectly until he went into retirement. In our company at the time that was possible, in other circumstances it would have ended his career.

I have seen examples of 'the wrong person for the directors job' many times now.
twice I have seen finance managers promoted to general director screwing up an organization! All they look at are numbers and statistics - people and managment skills not required!
another time my company hired a call center director to become the director of a sales organization... thank god he was out again within a year.

I disagree with you, Superlizard (as usual)... My dad was an engineer who got promoted to middle management... he had no clue what he was doing so he went back to school and got an MBA.  Now he's the CEO of his own company.

I figure management is like soldering or playing guitar or any other skill... you can learn on your own but if someone teaches you, you will get good fast.

DBW,

I think the situation that you're talking about is not quite the same, and actually probably the best time to get management training. If your father had a working knowledge of what he was managing, then applying management training and skills to his practical expertise is a natural fit, assuming he's good for the job (which is sounds like he was). It's a different scenario when someone with nothing but academic experience enters the real world with no knowledge of what they manage, or when a person is thrust into a position for which they are not fit.

dbw said:
I disagree with you, Superlizard (as usual)... My dad was an engineer who got promoted to middle management... he had no clue what he was doing so he went back to school and got an MBA.  Now he's the CEO of his own company.

I figure management is like soldering or playing guitar or any other skill... you can learn on your own but if someone teaches you, you will get good fast.

How is that disagreeing with what I said?  Your pops obviously had managerial talent; just needed to hone his natural skill by going to school.

See it's all about natural skills - if going to college guaranteed good business managers, then we wouldn't be seeing so many ass-hats with degrees screwing things up.

So obviously, a degree doesn't guarantee nor prove anything... what you need is the natural talent.

Back