Gibson "Dark Fire"

dbw

Master Member
They don't really make it clear what this thing does, but it seems to be "robot guitar v2.0."

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/DarkFire/Overview.aspx

The finish is nice, at least!  :icon_biggrin:

Hmm another leap toward the digital realm it seems.  Here's a quick cut and paste type summary.

Upgraded robotic tuning system with improved battery life over the Robot

P-90H Neck
BB3 Bridge
Piezo bridge 

Front panel:
- single 1/4-inch stereo input for the Dark Fire,
- 1/8-inch headphone out with level control
          - and a pilot light which changes from dim blue to bright blue when the Dark Fire input is detected.

Rear panel:
- two balanced 1/4-inch line outs
- FireWire connector
- Proprietary hex connector that carries the outputs of each string and a composite piezo output.
         - optional adaptor provides a connection from this hex output to MIDI guitar interfaces
         - or allows you to divide out the six individual signals to their own balanced one-quarter inch connectors.
- 12-volt DC connector for the RIP's power supply, which both powers the RIP itself and recharges the Dark Fire's battery when required.

Seems cool enough, but I don't think I'll be in line for one.  I'm sure it'll be kinda pricey for someone like me.  :dontknow:
Although I like the carbon fiber covers

Gee, can't wait to hear the horror stories when the first one malfunctions.

I'm still not clear on what it does... it's like a Variax with magnetic pickups?  Is this super-new technology?

dbw said:
I'm still not clear on what it does... it's like a Variax with magnetic pickups?  Is this super-new technology?

I wouldn't bother looking at link, but obviously has regular PUs + piezo pickups in bridge

Yesterday on E 69th and Park avenue (heartland of the investment banker, trust fund baby, and trophy wife, spiritual home of Sex and the City), I saw two 12- year old boys getting into a limo, each with a "Robot guitar"-labeled case. Off to guitar lessons! Maybe they learned some Nirvana chord progressions or something. The future of Gibson.

it's nice to see gibson actually designing new uitars rather than living off their brand name and 50 year old designs...

Turns out those 50 year old designs are pretty good.

This new stuff is just silly

"You can get 500 tunings from a single battery charge" - You know, currently I get unlimited tunings and I never have to replace the batteries in my guitar.
I also have 100% confidence that the circuits, chips, LEDs, and battery system in my LP will never fail or get a virus or need a firmware upgrade mid-song.
Wow, I should be paying extra for these features!

That would be incredible if one of these guitars caught a virus!!! Imagine: every time you try to play, the Smoke on the Water riff comes out.

"No Stairway?  Denied." ---Wayne

at-the-guitar-store.gif

tfarny said:
"You can get 500 tunings from a single battery charge" - You know, currently I get unlimited tunings and I never have to replace the batteries in my guitar.
I also have 100% confidence that the circuits, chips, LEDs, and battery system in my LP will never fail or get a virus or need a firmware upgrade mid-song.
Wow, I should be paying extra for these features!

Can it play itself too, like me? :laughing8:

According to Gibson you can get ANY sound out of it, from an Acoustic guitar to blues style, to death metal. (if thats what you are into lol)

Back