Gibson "custom" shop.

smavridis

why is it called the CUSTOM shop? as far as i've researched, they dont tailor ANY guitars to the public. and the Les Paul custom is stock. VERY stock. so wtf?

ALL HAIL WARMOTH CUSTOM SHOP.

I believe they do make custom instruments, as well as the 1-offs, the special models, limited runs, etc...

And the Custom was more of a High Class instrument.

i've heard to have a guitar made for you, you have to order through a gibson dealer. not sure how true that is, but i also heard they'll cost a life savings  :icon_biggrin:

The Gibson custom shop is now called Heritage Guitars, and has been moved back to Kalamazoo..

You don't seriously think Alex Lifeson, Warren Haynes and Neal Schon play the dreck Gibson puts out in the stores, do you? :evil4: Ibanez has a custom shop, Fender has a custom shop, Washburn, Schecter etc., they all have guitars that their endorsers love. And they all play the guitars that the rep hands them, not the ones hanging in a store....

Speaking of Gibson quality and Alex Lifeson,  I saw not one but two brand new Alex Lifeson model Gibsons at Steve's Music awhile back.

Both had obvious quality control flaws.  The fist had a black spot on the upper horn that the sales guy was trying to pass off as a "beauty mark".  The second had a trem that was messed up - the strings were dragging against the gold plated bridge and it would not stay in tune.

Neither of these defects should have even made it to final QA, let alone passed it.

stubhead said:
You don't seriously think Alex Lifeson, Warren Haynes and Neal Schon play the dreck Gibson puts out in the stores, do you? :evil4: Ibanez has a custom shop, Fender has a custom shop, Washburn, Schecter etc., they all have guitars that their endorsers love. And they all play the guitars that the rep hands them, not the ones hanging in a store....

those arent made by gibson, they are ghost built. schecter is good and fender is eh.

"Beauty spot" :help: :icon_tongue: :hello2: :cool01: :blob7: God bless us Americans - we're gonna need it. :blob7: :cool01: :hello2: :help:

Max said:
You didn't happen to check out the volute, did you?

Heh... for those who missed it... somewhere on this board is a pic of a Gibson 335 with the volute placed about an inch too far towards the body, in the middle of the first fret.  :doh: :doh: :doh:

smavridis said:
stubhead said:

those arent made by gibson, they are ghost built. schecter is good and fender is eh.

Heritage was the ghost bilder for  D'Angelico before they moved to Japan. gruhn has one for sale
AR4016.jpg

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Gibson will make anything you want.  They will also charge anything they want.  Let's face it, you're just buying the name on the headstock anyway.

no absolutely not true. I asked them for a price quote for a les paul with a walnut back, koa top, ziricote neck and ebony board. they told me 'only a walnut TOP ebony board, mahogany back and neck is possible, or koa top with ebony board, but for example, no korina back. so, no, really, not a customshop, oh, and the price? 65000$. no error in the zero's).

Orpheo said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Gibson will make anything you want.  They will also charge anything they want.  Let's face it, you're just buying the name on the headstock anyway.

no absolutely not true. I asked them for a price quote for a les paul with a walnut back, koa top, ziricote neck and ebony board. they told me 'only a walnut TOP ebony board, mahogany back and neck is possible, or koa top with ebony board, but for example, no korina back. so, no, really, not a customshop, oh, and the price? 65000$. no error in the zero's).

That just says they didn't want to do it.  :laughing7:

Overheard at the Gibson factory:

"Who was that on the phone?"
"Some crazy European guy wanted a Les Paul made out of a bunch of woods I never heard of."
"What'd you tell him?"
"I changed all his specs and charged him double my salary."
"Good work!  You just made Gibson Employee of the Month."

dbw said:

"Some crazy European guy wanted a Les Paul made out of a bunch of woods I never heard of."
"What'd you tell him?"

lol

dbw said:

"What'd you tell him?"

Ha!

Back