gibison classics

crow55

ive got an epi special SG with zebra pups
if i replace them with 57's with the guitar have that really bright, cutting sound of the 60's orig. gibsons?

It will definitely sound better, doubt it would be spot on with the original gibson sound, but defiantely a big step closer, but isnt the sg special epiphones low end sg? If so I'd personally just add a gibson sg or lp with the 57 classics to my collection, theres the gibson sg -3 2 57s and a 57 cplus in the bridge, round the 14- 15 hundred range, thats just me though

I've had 57's in one of my SG's (the brown one), and I was not too impressed.  The SG has been offered with 57's, but usually its in combination with a maple body or neck, or they did up some ash body SG's with 57's too.

You'll probably want something a bit meatier - 490/498 combination is a REALLY good one.  They pretty much nailed it with those.  A lot of guys dont like the 490/498 combination in Les Pauls, claiming them too middy and too aggressive.  They are, when used in a Les Paul.  In an SG, which is MUCH thinner, and mahogany rather than mahogany and maple, and more importantly, has a thinner neck... the 490's add some meat, and really are classic toned.

You might also want to try some Burstbucker Pro pickups if you want a brighter tone, but more meat that the 57''s will give you.  The BB-Pro is fairly aggressive, with a moderately thick middle, and sparkly top, in a Les Paul.  I put a set of Pro's in my ES-333 (like a 335), and they were a bit too much.  The bridge especially was a bit brighter than I wanted there.  The ending combination (after a bunch of tries) was a BB-Pro #1 in the neck position, and a BB#3 at the bridge (not pro, a plain alnico II Bbucker#3).  That worked really well in the ES-333.

And finally... I've got an SG special with HB's that has the 490R/490T combination and ya know what?  It aint half bad!  I like it in infact.  Very toneful, meaty and no mud.  No icepick in the ear too.  A sort of middle of the road, do all, and do it well pickup combination.

I would certainly recommend having a look at a Second hand Gibson SG special rather than messing with your epiphone. They are cheap and whatever stock pickups you geton it will take you closer to the classic Gibson tone.

No, but it should be a little hotter than, a little brighter than a 57classic/57classic+ combination

The BB-3 is a GREAT pickup if you're like me, and hate that shrill, icepick toned bridge pickup, be it Strat, Tele or HB.  The BB-3 is not muddy, but it has a thick tone, with less (just a bit less) sparkle.  Its one of the few bridge pickups that I can play singly, and not have to crank around with the tone controls on the guitar or amp to get it comfy sounding.  Yes, it does woman-tone quite well too.

I use BurstBuckers (1 and 2) in my PRS and they are amazing. I'd imagine that going with a 2 and 3 would be a great combo and that much hotter.

My Gibson LP has a pair of Burst Buckers in it and it sounds pretty amazing.  Its the only guitar that I own that I haven't disassembled.... I just got up the guts to change the tuners over to Grovers.  That damned guitar was always going out of tune, not any more...

I just pulled a set of '57 Classics out of my ES-335. I didn't think they were too terrible in the bridge, but they seemed too hot in the neck. Really they were pretty dull in both positions - almost generic (although the 300K volume pots may have been partly responsible). I replaced them with a set of SD Seth Lovers and the guitar came to life. The guitar sounds much more open, especially the neck. I'd say any vintage output Duncans (Lovers, Pearly Gates, '59 Models, etc)  or a set of Burstbuckers would be better options than the '57 Classics. That being said, if you want some '57 Classics to try, I have a set here that I'd give you a deal on  :laughing7:

-Bob

I installed a Classic plus in the bridge and the classic in the neck of my Les Paul Standard.  The best way for me to say this is that it sounds like a Les Paul should.  Gibson Pickups are very high quality.  Their gold covers are much better than a duncan gold.  Tone wise sometimes I'd like to have just a little bit more oomph from both the neck and the bridge, but they both sing like I want them to.  I have also used the Duncan '59 set in a Les Paul and I got tired of the Alnico 5 magnets. I tried the Pearly Gates set and did not care for the bridge at all, but lemme tell ya, the Pearly gates neck pickup is super.

Back