Getting ready to finish a body and need some advice....

Visago

Hey guys......I'm getting ready to apply the finish to my body for my Warmoth project. I have a King V made of Alder and I have a direction I was thinking about going in but I want to make sure that I'm doing this right. Basically I like the look of natural wood so I was thinking about applying a light stain and then a gloss clear. I was looking at the Minwax products and thinking about going that route. I was gonna first use their conditioner so the stain applies evenly and then apply a couple of coats of their oil-based natural color stain. I was gonna follow that up with a few coats of their hand-rubbed poly. They also sell the poly in spray cans if that would be better. I've also looked at using Tru-Oil or Tung-Oil and I understand this would be a completely different process. I want this guitar to turn out nice so I'd rather do my homework before I start doing the wrong thing. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The pre-conditioner is for use before WATER based stains, NOT oil based stains; no need to precondition for those. Just apply directly with rag and wipe off all excess. Note that even with lighter stain colors, additional applications of the stain may deepen color/make the grain "pop out" more.

After applying the oil based stain, you need to let that COMPLETELY dry out before beginning to apply any sort of gloss top coat, this can take more than 24 hours dependent upon ambient temperature/humidity.

If applying any poly/nitro type top gloss finish, you should apply at least a couple of coats of sanding sealer, typically that is all you need to do in the way of grain filling alder. No need to worry about that if using Tung/True oil as the first coats of such will accomplish that purpose.

jackthehack said:
The pre-conditioner is for use before WATER based stains, NOT oil based stains; no need to precondition for those. Just apply directly with rag and wipe off all excess. Note that even with lighter stain colors, additional applications of the stain may deepen color/make the grain "pop out" more.

After applying the oil based stain, you need to let that COMPLETELY dry out before beginning to apply any sort of gloss top coat, this can take more than 24 hours dependent upon ambient temperature/humidity.

If applying any poly/nitro type top gloss finish, you should apply at least a couple of coats of sanding sealer, typically that is all you need to do in the way of grain filling alder. No need to worry about that if using Tung/True oil as the first coats of such will accomplish that purpose.

Ok, cool. So do I apply the sanding sealer after the stain coats? And as far as sanding between coats....does fine steel wool or sand paper work better? Thanks for the advice.....I appreciate it.

Stain coats, then COMPLETELY dry, then sanding sealer.

Use sandpaper after each sanding sealer coat, #220 then #320/400.

Back