Getting Maple Neck fast again

Dazkeirle

Hi all,

Hopefully someone here can help me.

I have a 97 Fender Strat and a new Warmoth. The Warmoth's maple neck feels a lot faster than the Fender's.

The lacquer of the Fender has become sticky over the years. Does anybody have any tips as to how I can get the glide back without damaging the neck in any way. Even just cleaning solutions recommended would be great if that's all that's needed.

dbw said:
You can use 0000 steel wool to de-gloss a glossy finish.
That's what I was thinking.  First clean it real good with Naphtha (Lighter Fluid) and see what that buys you.  If that doesn't help, then 0000 steel wool it.  Just make sure to tape off the pickups really well so no metal filings get in there.

Ideally you should tape off everything but the neckback.  I've only done it once, on an acoustic, and I didn't tape off anything.  :p

Blue313 said:
dbw said:
That's what I was thinking.  First clean it real good with Naphtha (Lighter Fluid) and see what that buys you.  If that doesn't help, then 0000 steel wool it.  Just make sure to tape off the pickups really well so no metal filings get in there.

Ive seen this a few times now, Naphtha is really just lighter fluid? I guess I just wouldnt want to clean my guitar with lighter fluid, gives me the heebie-jeebies hahaha.

It worked all right for Jimmy.

jimi_hendrix_biography.jpg

rapfohl09 said:
Blue313 said:
dbw said:

Ive seen this a few times now, Naphtha is really just lighter fluid? I guess I just wouldnt want to clean my guitar with lighter fluid, gives me the heebie-jeebies hahaha.
Actually yes.  Lighter fluid is safe even on lacquer finishes.

Back