Genuine Floyd Rose Original vs Scaller

Garf

Hi guys. I'm looking to upgrade my old Ibanez RG, whichwas one of the cheaper ones, to a better bridge. The one in it is only single locking, and tuning is obviously unstable.

Does anyone have an opinion on how good the Schaller Floyd's are vs the genuine ones? They are a bit cheaper, and I know their other products are good...

Also while we're at it... Any other Floyd's out there I should be looking at?

Schaller and Gotoh are generally top-shelf parts.  I cannot speak to their appropriateness as a drop-in replacement for the Ibanez part, but if they fit, they'll perform.

Bagman67 said:
Schaller and Gotoh are generally top-shelf parts.  I cannot speak to their appropriateness as a drop-in replacement for the Ibanez part, but if they fit, they'll perform.

Agree 100% with this, I've had great experiences with both.

I've just done some quick research... Seems, since it's a Licensed Floyd, and it's only single locking, it was not one of those Ibanez Edge bridges... so people are recommending a Floyd Rose Original (as the actual Ibanez ones won't fit. So providing the Schaller or Gotoh ones are the same dimensions, they should be right.

+1 for all the good comments about Schaller hardware, that stuff is absolutely top notch.

Side note, their vintage copper finish (left of pic) is incredibly beautiful, makes me want to build a Strat just to deck it out in that hardware.

WJkPoHlh.jpg

I agree... It does look cool.... I also like those nickel black finishes I see some places...

Ahhh.. you've got me thinking of a guitar using the copper hardware now! And I haven't even built my first Warmoth Guitar yet...

I'm thinking of a carved top tele, glossy white, with a natural mask binding, with all hardware that copper colour

And the same while laminate on the head stock front.

It might not be the answer you're looking for, but if you've got a single locking licensed Floyd, replace the tuners with some locking ones. Boom, double locked.

GilgaFrank said:
+1 for all the good comments about Schaller hardware, that stuff is absolutely top notch.

Side note, their vintage copper finish (left of pic) is incredibly beautiful, makes me want to build a Strat just to deck it out in that hardware.

WJkPoHlh.jpg

Same here for the antique copper! Love that finish and think it would look awesome on a guitar with a natural finish like Mahogany or a Guthrie Govan style guitar!

Unfortunately Schaller don't make complete sets of Strat or Tele hardware. No jackplates, no vintage bridges and the modern trems they make look to have different post spacing from the Fender US Standard bridge. Bang goes that great idea, unless you want to experiment with doing your own copper plating.

GilgaFrank said:
Unfortunately Schaller don't make complete sets of Strat or Tele hardware. No jackplates, no vintage bridges and the modern trems they make look to have different post spacing from the Fender US Standard bridge. Bang goes that great idea, unless you want to experiment with doing your own copper plating.

Saw this article on that before http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/47577-copper-plating-on-to-of-chrome-hardware/

...not the same but a possibility. I do remember finding a matching jack and neck plate for the antique copper look but that was a couple months ago when I was working on a build...can't find them anymore.

treyhaislip said:
GilgaFrank said:

WJkPoHlh.jpg

Same here for the antique copper! Love that finish and think it would look awesome on a guitar with a natural finish like Mahogany or a Guthrie Govan style guitar!

Check out my 8 String bass build, where I'm using Schaller 'Vintage' copper.
http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=25781.30

Hi...

Just an update and follow up question. I was at my local shop to use their rehearsal studios yesterday, and noticed they had a Black Gotoh Floyd in the case... The guy behind the counter, who knows I'm a regular told me they ordered it in 12 months ago for another customer but didn't take a deposit, then the guy didn't want it... they would otherwise not stock such an item... So... he gave it to me at cost price :)

So follow-up question... How do I take the old studs out and put these ones in? Are they set by glue or something? If not, how do they not come out when using the trem? Should I just leave the existing studs in there?

I think the rest of the install should be fairly easy.

Cheers

The studs aren't glued in they are an interference fit. There are ways to get them out and probably even bushing puller tools available.

In fact there are. And there is a video of it in use.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Maintenance/Schatten_Knob_and_Bushing_Puller.html

Once you have the bushing out, the Gotoh studs are slightly bigger than the Floyd bushings so you may have to fill the holes with dowel and redrill with a press or pillar drill to the correct size for the new bushings.

Or you could try using the old bushings and posts and see if they work.

I have a 3rd hand (possibly more) VIP body that came with Floyd studs already installed. They aren't the same diameter studs as the OFR I got when I ordered the bridge, but they aligned perfectly and are adjustable (height-wise), so I didn't bother changing them on my axe.

Back