Generic Floyd Shelf

gtobrett

Does anyone know exactly what the "Generic Floyd Shelf" really is?  I understand it's the route for a Floyd locking nut, but do you know specifically what size nut it's cut for?  It seems like I can't get a straight answer from a Warmoth sales guy.  They just want me to pay $55.  If the generic shelf route is close I can work with nut height, etc.  I just don't want to pay $55 for them to drill 2 holes through it for allen bolts.
Thanks

on my neck it was pretty much ready to mount the Floyd R2 nut on. I just had to put a small shim under the nut to lift it up a bit. my neck had 6100 frets though so a shim might not even be needed with smaller lower frets.

for me it was well worth the 55 bucks as I would have F***** up the job myself for sure!

have them do it...basicially it is ready to go.  I have had 3 done.  I only had to remove a tiny bit of material to get correct action on one...

Tell em not to drill the two holes, you can use a couple screws to hold the nut down,  or get yerself a sharp chisel or setup a jig for a router and do it yourself, measure twice cut once take your time. How hard can it be? $55.00 worth probably

Or just pay the $55.00 and have it ready to go as soon as you get the neck.

Either way, I would still ask don't drill the two holes, I've yet to figure out why so many people have to bolt a floyd nut all the way through the neck, I've got 3 floyd setups that are held on just fine with "about 1/4" inch long screws.

The "Generic Floyd Shelf" is basically a nut shelf for a Floyd that is ready to be cut to your specifications. There are many variations of the Floyd nut, so this would be a chunk of wood waiting to be cut.

Hope that helps. But I do agree with others that the 2 thru holes are not necessary, as a Floyd nut can be mounted with 2 wood screws from the front. So you would just have to shape the shelf to fit the nut you have...

From the looks of it, the generic shelf has done most of the dirty work.  The height of the shelf is dependent on your fret height....and they've appeared to have err'd on the really high side.  There doesn't appear to be a ton of wood to plane off, but it's a hardwood.

If you have the tools and are willing to give it a try, it doesn't look too bad.  I'd experiment on some scrap rosewood (or whatever your fretboard of choice is) before deciding.

The generic Floyd shelf occurs on tilt-back headstock necks destined for Floyd use and it provides an ample fretboard-matching wood base for the future Floyd nut. The truss rod on such necks is also moved out towards the headstock a little.
Otherwise, to add a Floyd Nut Prep on existing normal tilt-backs we used to add a supporting wood ramp that seldom matched visually and would interfere with truss rod adjustment nut access.
The generic Floyd shelf allows for a more attractive and functional Floyd Nut Prep.
Rock On! - Bob

Back