Gecko Guitar Prototype Maybe?

simple

Staff member
Look what one of the Warmoth employees made!

ag1.jpg

ag4.jpg

ag2.jpg

Attachments

• ag1.jpg
    ag1.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 712
I want one, Swamp ash with a Padauk top and a black pinstripe. I'll finish it myself. :headbang:

It isn't mine but I've had a chance to play it.  Plays great.  25.5" scale, but due to the neck/body positioning, feels like a shortscale.  I want one too.

I got to hold it and play on it for a moment and the upper fret access for your hand is fantastic.

So this is a Warmoth original, right?  Is that a first??  It looks better than a Strat to me...    :kewlpics:

dbw said:
So this is a Warmoth original, right?  Is that a first??  It looks better than a Strat to me...    :kewlpics:

not sure, from Gregg's email, it could be just a private (body blank) project from one of the Warmoth employees.
now, if that employee is working in the R&D department..it's a different story! ;)

Basically the VIP is also a Warmoth Original, loosely based on a PRS.
Either way, I really think it is time for a guitar equivalent of the Gecko (I have actually mentioned this a long long time ago :))

Isn't it basically one of these...

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies/7_string.cfm?fuseaction=7s

done as a 6-string?

Please please PLEASE do the gecko inlay!!! The gecko basses are beautiful, but they really need the inlay to be complete. I'd go for a gecko guitar w/ inlay in a second.

One other mod - when you set up the CNC machining, move the centerline for the neck pickup DOWN just enough to accomodate a 24 fret neck

It was done as an experiement. There has been a constant low drone of requests for it for years. I think it would be cool to have the Gecko inlay too!

No plans to take it further right now since our plate is full, but down the road a year you may see it come back in a more official capacity!

you all really want a lounge lizard plastered onto your fretboard? really???  :dontknow:

many of us who dwell low and play thick strings pay the extra $$ to NOT have the lizard on our fretboards

agreed - making the slight mods to accommodate a 24-fret neck would be nice (and relatively simple to do) since you'd still have generous access to the extra frets.

all the best,

R

RLW said:
Isn't it basically one of these...

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies/7_string.cfm?fuseaction=7s

done as a 6-string?

Good catch Rich! I hope if/when it sees the light of day it won't be right hand only like the 7 string. :binkybaby: :binkybaby:

SkuttleFunk said:
you all really want a lounge lizard plastered onto your fretboard? really???  :dontknow:

many of us who dwell low and play thick strings pay the extra $$ to NOT have the lizard on our fretboards
+1, I think that thing is ugly.  More options are great but it would suck to have to shell out $35 to keep the fretboard lizard-free...

Gregg said:
It was done as an experiement. There has been a constant low drone of requests for it for years. I think it would be cool to have the Gecko inlay too!

No plans to take it further right now since our plate is full, but down the road a year you may see it come back in a more official capacity!
Looks awesome......but in the absence of one body style.....why not replace it with that.......And I would vote for the gecko inlay.....Birdseye maple AAAA please with black inlay.. :kewlpics:

One thing I thought of a while back - the neck heel on both the 25" scale and the baritone SEVEN-string necks is 2 5/8" wide, and the neck pocket on all standard 4-string bass bodies is 2 1/2" wide.... hmmm, just a leetle shaving here and there... I like 'em weird, you know, anybody can have a Strat. And I like seven-strings. Warmoth used to have more weird bass bodies, but they still have the G4 and the Z bass:
http://www.warmoth.com/bass/bodies/radical.cfm?fuseaction=zbass

Besides having to shave the pocket and place your own hardtail bridge, maybe you can con them into not drilling out for the bass bridge grounding wire. I'm still planning my next project to be a G5 fretless bass with a 32" SCALE, I gotta ask about leaving off both the side dots on the neck and the little butthole for the grounding wire. Then you just have them route for a neck pickup only and slap the bridge on 2" higher.

Back