Gecko 6 bridge options

LeeSkelly

I've been recruited to the bottom end of the audible sound spectrum for a bit. Figure I should get myself a decent bass while I'm at it. So.. Thinking Gecko 6 with basslines active soapbars and preamp unit for flexibility. Hipshot tuners. Non-exotic  :sad: woods this time around for cost reasons. The real question is how to anchor those strings. I read elsewhere no single string bridges on 6's which bummed me out. I love Hipshot's quality and am leaning towards the A style more out of necessity than anything else. I've never been tremendously impressed with kahlers on the skinny string side, so i don't think I'll go that route. Any other compatible bridges out there that anyone can recommend?

Before you go and start building a 6 string bass I would check a few out at a music store. You may find them not to your liking. string spacing and fingerboard is usualy much wider for fingepicking and they have a longer scale length than even the delux 5 i believe.

Brian

thanks for the advice. I've actually played around with fives quite a bit. I can handle up to a 36" scale fairly well, its more a matter of balance and weight. I can tolerate an all wenge 5 so i think i'll manage a 6 ok.
The real concern though is the string spacing, and that varies so much from bridge to bridge and how adjustable they are is another factor.

You could look at the Hipshot A (16.5mm string spacing.)  That seems to be a common choice for the Gecko 6.  Be aware there can be a slight overhang of the bridge by the low B and the bevel on the body.

Hipshot five and six string type "A" bridges come in four different string spacings - .669", .687", .708" and .750". A full line dealer can order any size. It's not Warmoth's job to stock everything - they're busy and their money's in wood - but root around and they'll turn up.

http://www.bestbassgear.com/hipshot-a-style-bass-bridges.htm

(looks like these guys only have the .687 in gold right now, but they're out there)

Back