recommended pickup(s) for Gecko 6-string bass?

Bob Hoover Ross

Anyone have any recommendations for pickups in a 6-string (BEADGC) Gecko bass?

I'm leaning towards something that I can use passively, but that will also work with an active preamp/eq if I so desire ...and who am I kidding? I'll probably desire that 5 minutes after I get the passive electronics all wired up! But I want to start out with a simple, austere, purist build for now.

I think string spacing will be ~16.5mm but I'd prefer a pickup that doesn't have individual polepieces so I don't get pigeon-holed into one spacing.

Based on some minimal research, the pickups that should work include:
- Aguilar DCB
- Delano SBC6
- Lace Alumitone 4.5
- Nordstrand Dual Blade
- and several Bartolinis (although I haven't had a lot of success running Barts in a purely passive instrument. *LOVE* them in combination with an active preamp, but ideally I want something that will sound at least as loud as a stock P Bass without batteries, and the Barts I've tried don't quite meet that standard.)

Anyway... anyone have any opinions about any of those pickups, or other suggestions? Anyone have a 6-string Gecko and if so, what pickups did you use?

Thanks.

My favourite bass pickup is the Lace Alumitone.
I have one on a single pickup bass and I love it.
Only the cost of them stops me buying another 3 of them for my 2 other basses.

The sound? I suppose I like them because 'it is all there'. The hifi quality many people dislike when using them on guitars becomes a positive advantage on a bass.
I do have one guitar with Lace Alumitones - a Hohner headless guitar. They work because I have no pre-conceived ideas about how the guitar should sound.
A Tele or a Strat or a Gibson that doesn't have some of the original sound in there somewhere becomes a real turn-off to me. Weird but true!
And yes, those Alumitones did get tried out on my other guitars to see where they sounded best to me.

I have Duncan soapbars of some kind on my Gecko 6. Preamp with EQ gets all the right sounds, and some that aren't.

Back