Gecko 6 - basic black

Wyliee

Here's a new addition to my stable.

Ultra light swamp ash body
Custom pickup locations - both moved 1" towards the bridge
Maple/maple neck - shaved down by myself and it will be my own durn fault if it pretzels.
Hipshot Ultra light tuners
Takeuchi bridge
Seymour Duncan ASB2-6 pickups with 3 band EQ

The bass weighs in at just over 9lbs.  Pretty darned light for a 6.  I'm thinking of replacing the black knobs with chrome and will add a black truss rod cover.

4354313143_57b3367348_b.jpg

4355057640_0e2deaa8bb_b.jpg

Looks nice!    :headbang:

I agree with the chrome knobs over black here.  They're getting lost in that black gloss finish.

Going by your specs...that should be one bright and light bass!  *I* like it - elegant simplicity  :glasses10:

Very nice work!  I'd love to hear clips of how those pickups sound in their new positions.

I agree, chrome knobs would be best.  If it were me, I'd leave off the truss rod cover...

SlingBass said:
Going by your specs...that should be one bright and light bass!  *I* like it - elegant simplicity   :glasses10:

Surprisingly, the top end is not overwhelming.  It's actually a bit on the muddy side.  I'm attribuing that to the SD pickups and contemplating EMGs or talking to Nordstrand and seeing what it would take to get a pair of Fat Stacks wound.

I need to find extra long strings that will fit the 35" scale and go through body.  What are my other Gecko brethren using?

Wyliee said:
Surprisingly, the top end is not overwhelming.  It's actually a bit on the muddy side.  I'm attribuing that to the SD pickups and contemplating EMGs or talking to Nordstrand and seeing what it would take to get a pair of Fat Stacks wound.

I found the Seymour Duncan pickups to be a bit muddy as well, and lacking in the midrange.  I think you'll have better luck with SGD pickups.  They have a lot of clarity and usable midrange without sounding too "brittle" or sharp in the treble like EMG.

Wyliee said:
I need to find extra long strings that will fit the 35" scale and go through body.  What are my other Gecko brethren using?

D'Addario XL in "Super Long" scale should work.  I bought a set, but haven't tried going through-body yet.  However, they don't make a set in Super Long for 6-string, but you can get the 5-string set (EXL170-5SL) and add a single long-scale string at .032 (XLB032) for the high C.  I'll try my set and let you know how it works.

Wyliee said:
SlingBass said:
Going by your specs...that should be one bright and light bass!  *I* like it - elegant simplicity   :glasses10:

Interesting......I wouldn't have imagined anything but clear - please keep us informed on your switch 
eusa_think.gif

tubby.twins said:
D'Addario XL in "Super Long" scale should work.  I bought a set, but haven't tried going through-body yet.  However, they don't make a set in Super Long for 6-string, but you can get the 5-string set (EXL170-5SL) and add a single long-scale string at .032 (XLB032) for the high C.  I'll try my set and let you know how it works.

I used D'Addario XL's for a while and found them to be too bright for my tastes.  I've been using Ernie Balls on my Geckos for about the past 6 months.  I may see if I still have any spare XL strings around to see if they're long enough.

I'm just trying to see by that picture what neighborhood you live in so I can send midget Ninjas to steal that amazingly beautiful instrument.  /golf clap and /respect nod

-Mark

Back