G4 Bass

W

Watershed

So this Christmas my girlfriend tells me she wants a bass.
She was looking around at some stuff on e-bay, cheesy stuff.

Seeing yet another opportunity to spend money at Warmoth, I picked up one of these off of the showcase:
IMG_3791.jpg

She said she wanted something red.  I used a MEK based dye this time around based on another boardmembers suggestion.
I had the whole thing sprayed in a blood red, but it seemed to be missing something.
I thought I would try a sunburst, since its a lam top body.  Also, there were some imperfections on the sides/edges that really didn't look all that hot.
So here are the results:
Front
IMG_4867.jpg

Back
IMG_4869.jpg

Part of me thinks it may be a bit dark, but another part wants to leave well enough alone.
I may give it a light sand in the center to brighten it up a bit.

Order of operations:
-Clear grain filler front, black grain filler on the back.
-Entire body sprayed in pre-catalyzed nitro with MEK based red dye added.
-Edges sprayed in pre-catalyzed nitro with black pigment added.  Used cardboard template to avoid overspray.
-"Burst" area sprayed in 50/50, MEK Red/MEK Balck, pre-catalyzed nitro for blending effect.

I'm trying to decide if I should mess with it some more or just shoot clear and call it a day.

James

watershed...can you PLEASE do me a favor...when you get your bridge on, can you tell me how much room you have from your saddles (line of inotation) to the back of the base.  I want to see if the G4 has enough room to mount a vintage Kahler whammy I picked up on ebay.  Please make sure you measure from the sides and not just down the middle.  THANKS!!!!

BTW...finish looks perfect from here....nice choice dude!!!

Well, the project is moving along.

I decided to leave well enough alone and shot a few coats of clear.
Here it is sanded and buffed still on the stand:
IMG_5140.jpg

Here you go dmraco, got the bridge on and snapped a pick for you.  It's not intonated but this should help:
IMG_5250.jpg

Needs more buffing.

It's got a 5 piece wenge neck with brazilian rosewood board to go with it.  There are two purpleheart strips.
EMG PJ pickups.

James

dbw said:
STUNNING finish.  Miles deep and an awesome color.  Is it nitro?

Sort of.  I have been using a pre-catalyzed nitro.  It really behaves much like “ordinary” nitro from an application/working with standpoint. 
It has a slightly higher solid content for quicker buildup and claims to be a bit more resistant to abuse, which I would agree with. 
It sure buffs to a high gloss and the curing process is shorter as its not entirely about evaporation.

I'm a fan  :icon_thumright:

James

Here we go.
Got it all together over the weekend.
IMG_5303.jpg

It can look real dark in low light:
IMG_5350.jpg

Wonderful neck.  Wenge with purpleheart stringers and a braz. rosewood board.
IMG_5351.jpg

EMG PJ Set running 18v.
Sounds great and really liking the Warmoth/Hipshot bridge.

I hope she likes it.

Back