G4 Bass

W

Watershed

So this Christmas my girlfriend tells me she wants a bass.
She was looking around at some stuff on e-bay, cheesy stuff.

Seeing yet another opportunity to spend money at Warmoth, I picked up one of these off of the showcase:
IMG_3791.jpg

She said she wanted something red.  I used a MEK based dye this time around based on another boardmembers suggestion.
I had the whole thing sprayed in a blood red, but it seemed to be missing something.
I thought I would try a sunburst, since its a lam top body.  Also, there were some imperfections on the sides/edges that really didn't look all that hot.
So here are the results:
Front
IMG_4867.jpg

Back
IMG_4869.jpg

Part of me thinks it may be a bit dark, but another part wants to leave well enough alone.
I may give it a light sand in the center to brighten it up a bit.

Order of operations:
-Clear grain filler front, black grain filler on the back.
-Entire body sprayed in pre-catalyzed nitro with MEK based red dye added.
-Edges sprayed in pre-catalyzed nitro with black pigment added.  Used cardboard template to avoid overspray.
-"Burst" area sprayed in 50/50, MEK Red/MEK Balck, pre-catalyzed nitro for blending effect.

I'm trying to decide if I should mess with it some more or just shoot clear and call it a day.

James

dmraco

watershed...can you PLEASE do me a favor...when you get your bridge on, can you tell me how much room you have from your saddles (line of inotation) to the back of the base.  I want to see if the G4 has enough room to mount a vintage Kahler whammy I picked up on ebay.  Please make sure you measure from the sides and not just down the middle.  THANKS!!!!

BTW...finish looks perfect from here....nice choice dude!!!

W

Watershed

Well, the project is moving along.

I decided to leave well enough alone and shot a few coats of clear.
Here it is sanded and buffed still on the stand:
IMG_5140.jpg

Here you go dmraco, got the bridge on and snapped a pick for you.  It's not intonated but this should help:
IMG_5250.jpg

Needs more buffing.

It's got a 5 piece wenge neck with brazilian rosewood board to go with it.  There are two purpleheart strips.
EMG PJ pickups.

James

W

Watershed

dbw said:
STUNNING finish.  Miles deep and an awesome color.  Is it nitro?

Sort of.  I have been using a pre-catalyzed nitro.  It really behaves much like “ordinary” nitro from an application/working with standpoint. 
It has a slightly higher solid content for quicker buildup and claims to be a bit more resistant to abuse, which I would agree with. 
It sure buffs to a high gloss and the curing process is shorter as its not entirely about evaporation.

I'm a fan  :icon_thumright:

James

W

Watershed

Here we go.
Got it all together over the weekend.
IMG_5303.jpg

It can look real dark in low light:
IMG_5350.jpg

Wonderful neck.  Wenge with purpleheart stringers and a braz. rosewood board.
IMG_5351.jpg

EMG PJ Set running 18v.
Sounds great and really liking the Warmoth/Hipshot bridge.

I hope she likes it.