Future cab build

Wana_make_a_guitar

This year i'm pretty sure i'm gonna make a 2x12 guitar amp cab, then sell my MG and buy a blackheart.  :hello2:

if anyone could point me in the direction of a site or forum or book about cab construction that would be great!

I want it to look similar to this avatar cab:
tg212hblackblack.jpg

And I think i've settled n the idea of buying either a pair of Celestion speakers (maybe Vintage 30's) or a pair of Eminence speakers because these are the two brands that I have heard the most about. But I am confused about which speakers I want to use becasue the BH head I want is only 15 watts and the wattage rating on some of the speakers range from 35 to 100.  :help:

This'll get ya started.

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/features/drdecibel/index.asp

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
And I think i've settled n the idea of buying either a pair of Celestion speakers (maybe Vintage 30's) or a pair of Eminence speakers because these are the two brands that I have heard the most about. But I am confused about which speakers I want to use becasue the BH head I want is only 15 watts and the wattage rating on some of the speakers range from 35 to 100.   :help:

that's OK - as long as the amp wattage isn't more than the cab you're fine. I had a 100 watt head with a cab that could handle 400 watts. Worked fine.

GoDrex said:
And I think i've settled n the idea of buying either a pair of Celestion speakers (maybe Vintage 30's) or a pair of Eminence speakers because these are the two brands that I have heard the most about. But I am confused about which speakers I want to use becasue the BH head I want is only 15 watts and the wattage rating on some of the speakers range from 35 to 100.  :help:

that's OK - as long as the amp wattage isn't more than the cab you're fine. I had a 100 watt head with a cab that could handle 400 watts. Worked fine.
thats Cool! So I could use two 100 watt speakers and then put my friends head on it and still have watts to spare!

One thing that I read up on is that you have to have a certain amount of space (air) in the cab for the speakers to perform their best, but I've got a suspicion though that this may be a bit of clap trap though. is this true or not?

I was looking a Celestion speakers, but they are like $200 each here in Aus so I think Eminence is the way to go.

I found these Eminence Delta speakers going for $75 AUD each on the bay, But when I check out the eminence site, there is no delta speakers, there are only delta demon speakers.  Not sure If I should trust this guy, but these speakers look good and they're cheap.  I like cheap.

thats Cool! So I could use two 100 watt speakers and then put my friends head on it and still have watts to spare!

As I read that sentence the first time I had a completely wrong mental image of it. At least I hope you're not really considering decapitating a friend?

You do know that the power rating for a cab is the sum of the power rating of the speakers inside? So a cab with four speakers each rated 30W would have a total rating of 120W.

One thing that I read up on is that you have to have a certain amount of space (air) in the cab for the speakers to perform their best, but I've got a suspicion though that this may be a bit of clap trap though. is this true or not?

Yes, it's true, but it mainly impacts bass range, i.e. how low a frequency the cab can handle. It very important when designing a bass cab, but for guitar you can get away without doing the maths that are involved. Just look up on the net what the dimensions are for a couple of similar cabinets, you should find that information in the online stores. Stick with dimensions in that range and you'll be OK. Rule of thumb: the front area has to be large enough so the speakers fit inside, it has to be deep enough so it doesn't fall over, and it has to be high enough so it doesn't look stupid.

You may want to look at Lean Business in the UK. They have Celestion and with the current value of the Pound, it could be worthwile. I have bought a couple of 12" Celestion bass speakers from them and that went very smoothly. I just did a search for them on Google and I see they also have a store on the 'bay.

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/

ByteFrenzy said:
You may want to look at Lean Business in the UK. They have Celestion and with the current value of the Pound, it could be worthwile. I have bought a couple of 12" Celestion bass speakers from them and that went very smoothly. I just did a search for them on Google and I see they also have a store on the 'bay.

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/
That would still be $300 plus shipping in AUD  I think i'll stick with eminence speakers if I can, If the guy I mentioned above is legible I'll only have to pay $150 for two speakers. 

I'll do some Googling around this weekend to find out some dimensions if I can. Then i'll get stuck into badgering my woodwork teacher to find out if he'll let me do this at school.

My dad used to be a sound tech for a band, and he got PA systems and stuff custom made for him, I know it's a bit different from guitar speakers but we'll see if he knows anything.

My dad used to be a sound tech for a band, and he got PA systems and stuff custom made for him, I know it's a bit different from guitar speakers but we'll see if he knows anything.

Construction-wise there's not too much difference between a guitar cab and a PA. At least, as long as we aren't talking about "$150 buys your own PA system so you can be a DJ next weekend and it even includes cool light effects in the speaker boxes" setups but REAL PA systems. The specifics for guitar cabs really have to do with building something that is a compromise between the practical (low weight, minimal dimensions) and the sound (rigid, minimal vibrations, sufficient volume). You'll probably want to use slightly thinner panels with more internal bracing.

Here is some quick Sketchup dimensions,  I think I may want to make it taller though. There is only two inches clearance between each other and the sides of the cabinet for the speakers.

There is a 1/2 inch frame on the font for the grill cloth to be secured to the cab.

edit, taler picture added although it is taller, I think it only comes up to my knee. ??? Normal?

Back