Funny How Time Flies...

Cagey

Mythical Status
So, I'm taking a break from the literal grind of fretwork and watching Peter Frampton and Eric Clapton covering "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and feeling sorry for Mr Frampton and his progressing/debilitating disease that's going to stop him from playing, while simultaneously feeling sorry for my own aging body, when it occurs to me that I saw him play live some time back. Some time back? Thought about it for a couple seconds, and some quick math reminded me that that was 45 years ago! Holy mackerel! I remember me and my girlfriend in tier A at Cobo Hall during the "Frampton Comes Alive" tour while he's jamming out "Do You Feel Like We Do?" right in front of god and everybody.

Where does the time go?  And where's Ruby these days?  And when did I get so so damn old?

It’s crazy how fast it goes. My schedule has me living at work for two weeks then I’m home for two weeks, so I live my whole life in 4-week cycles. Every time I blink it’s another month. It’s almost scary.

Sunset and evening star
And one clear call for me!
May there be no moaning of the bar
when I put out to sea.

It's the condition of all performers.  Eventually it happens to all of us.

Of the concerts I have seen, and that’s a number:

One that stands out was Frampton. 
Never the greatest fan of all his work, but live absolutely one of the best shows.  I have never seen a pro so enjoy and be so happy playing for people.  It exudes from his playing, smile and interaction with everyone. Truly remarkable.

To offer a context of the concerts I saw that within a month either side I last saw Frampton: Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, Rick Nielsen, Joe Perry, Eric Johnson, Joe Bonamassa.  Yes I took a couple months and saw any big name guitarist with 500 miles playing.

Hands down, I enjoyed Frampton most.

Every time I play live, I try to channel that.

TBurst Std said:

Never the greatest fan of all his work, but live absolutely one of the best shows.  I have never seen a pro so enjoy and be so happy playing for people.  It exudes from his playing, smile and interaction with everyone. Truly remarkable.

I agree. Oddly enough, that reminds me of Robin Trower concerts. Big fan of his playing, but you may as well just get one of his CDs and punch it into the biggest, best sound system you can find and listen to it racked to painful sound pressure levels. Basically the same experience. Nothing happening.

Cagey said:
TBurst Std said:

I agree. Oddly enough, that reminds me of Robin Trower concerts. Big fan of his playing, but you may as well just get one of his CDs and punch it into the biggest, best sound system you can find and listen to it racked to painful sound pressure levels. Basically the same experience. Nothing happening.

Agreed.  Saw Trower later that same year.  Zero energy. Enjoyed listening to CDs more.

I've never had the pleasure of Mr. Frampton live, and I consider myself a poorer man because of it.

However, having seen Pink Floyd twice, the first in the 80s, and having seen Mr. Gilmour solo recently, he would be another of the "don't miss" performers. In my opinion.

We're not getting older. We're getting better.

ghotiphry said:

I'd like to think so, but it's getting to the point where I'm starting to wonder if it might be easier to just put all the pills in a bowl in the morning with some milk and sugar like corn flakes or something. Save making breakfast, and just as filling <grin>

ghotiphry said:
I've never had the pleasure of Mr. Frampton live, and I consider myself a poorer man because of it.

However, having seen Pink Floyd twice, the first in the 80s, and having seen Mr. Gilmour solo recently, he would be another of the "don't miss" performers. In my opinion.

That is the only bucket list concert I haven’t been able to do. And it hurts as Gilmour is my fav.

TBurst Std said:
ghotiphry said:

That is the only bucket list concert I haven’t been able to do. And it hurts as Gilmour is my fav.

If you ever get the chance, that man has still got it, in spades. Age has been kind to him.  He is sublime.

Back