OT - rhythm section in training

S

swarfrat

Got this kit for my boy a while back. He'll be 4 in a few months. The 13" snare just didn't fit him, and had funky beds (it's an SPL kit), but worse still - the legs on the snare stand just wouldn't fit such a small layout.  Fast forward to this week, when Sweetwater blows out this Gretsch 10" side snare for $69, Dad couldn't pass it up.  Getting that snare up off the floor and shaving 3" off really tightened up the kit - his pedal spacing should be a lot more friendly now. We'll be hanging on to his first "real" snare long after the rest of the kit hits CL. 

He's not seen the new snare yet. But I got to up my game. He's after to me start playing some of the stuff we listen to in the car now. Time to start woodshedding and learning new tunes.  I'm feel like anyone who has a lifelong interest in instruments - if your kids also have a lifelong interest - they're gonna pass you at some point. With this kid, I got a feeling that might happen around 12 instead of 18.

gretsch-red_zpsohtcrarp.png

swarfrat said:
... With this kid, I got a feeling that might happen around 12 instead of 18.

That must be a strange feeling. Nice, but strange. Probably also a lot of pride.
The kit looks fantastic. Your son must be extatic.

Yeah. In am. He's already starting to try to keep time. (Sometimes a bit heavy 4-limbs at once)  He's wanting to play songs now. He's singing along with me now, and he's incredibly sharp. Good eye (and ear) and doesn't forget nuthin. He'll ask me about a word he heard once in a song, he's definitely processing them as he listens.

A drummer friend at work asked me how his I interest level was holding up. I realized he's been very interested in drums now for two year of his not quite four years, and doesn't seem to be showing signs of waning. His dream (and mine) is to one day play in a band with dad.  He also loves the metronome and the practice pad.  I think he's a lifer.

swarfrat said:
A drummer friend at work asked me how his I interest level was holding up. I realized he's been very interested in drums now for two year of his not quite four years, and doesn't seem to be showing signs of waning. His dream (and mine) is to one day play in a band with dad.  He also loves the metronome and the practice pad.  I think he's a lifer.

That's great!
Anyone ever see the video of 1000 drummers playing Learning to Fly? Like soldiers of the future. How were they all able to do that if each and everyone of them did not have good time? Love that metronome! Like a ruler that measures space...in your brain, all in good time  :icon_thumright:

Back