Fretless Black Korina Dinky J Bass

S

SlartiBartfast

Well, my new baby arrived on Monday. I skipped the "Just Out of the Box" and "A Work In Progress" steps and just finished 'er up!

Here are the specs:

"Dinky" J Bass
Solid Black Korina back with laminate BK top
"Light" tobacco burst finish
Rear-routed
Dimarzio Model J pickups
1 Volume, 1 Tone control
Gotoh 201 Bridge, Gotoh GB7 tuners
Black GraphTech TUSQ XL nut
1/2" deep panel side jack
Dunlop dual-locking straplocks

Wenge neck (raw, of course)
Pau Ferro fretboard (unique choice)
Lined fretless (22 frets)

And here are the pictures!

_MG_0156

_MG_0143

_MG_0138

_MG_0145

_MG_0144

_MG_0148

_MG_0149

_MG_0151

Oh Slarti  ........ WOWZA    :blob7:

Didn't know about this one you kept hidden from us.
Your on a roll Sir.  :icon_thumright:
Thats 2 builds I've seen of yours lately, that I end up dribbling over my keyboard, then fall off my chair.
Any others your hiding  :dontknow:

If I get around to building a Bass    :dontknow:  .... thats about how I'd want it looking  :headbang:

Very nice indeed  :guitarplayer2:

Thanks everybody! I love my new bass! At first, I had a little bit of regret for having gone with the Tobacco Burst finish on this. It kind of covered up the awesome grain in the BK top (she was dark and walnut-y with orange-ish streaks), but I'm still loving how she turned out.

Updown said:
Didn't know about this one you kept hidden from us.
Your on a roll Sir.  :icon_thumright:
Thats 2 builds I've seen of yours lately, that I end up dribbling over my keyboard, then fall off my chair.
Any others your hiding  :dontknow:

Nope, these are my only projects for the foreseeable future. I eventually want a guitar that's got a fatter tone (something with a couple of 'buckers), but I might end up getting a PRS Custom 24 instead of building a 3rd Warmoth. We'll have to wait and see!  :dontknow:

I mentioned in this thread years ago that I debated between getting a clear finish (probably satin) and the tobacco burst. After some time has gone by, I still go back and forth! I'm just curious: If this was going to be your bass, which option do you prefer? Letting the awesome grain speak for itself, or dressing it up a bit with the tobacco burst?

Please forgive my Photoshop hack job:

J-Bass Options

I've always been a natural finish guy.... but that burst is sweet. For that piece of wood burst looks like the right choice. Nice job!!!! :headbang:

Hahaha, I guess it's unanimous. I love the finish I chose, too. I just ALSO love the raw look of the streaky BK top.

BK & Wenge - justification for the existence of gold hardware. Nice.

Back